585,735 active members*
4,971 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Fanuc 21t alarm 086 dr signal off

Fanuc 21t alarm 086 dr signal off

I bought a used Hardinge Cobra 42 lathe with a fanuc 21t control and I am getting an alarm 086 alarm Dr signal off when trying to transmit. Is there a parameter that I can check to see if it is on, and not the PCB? Also if anyone knows which parameters to check the rest of the rs232 setting I would appreciate it.

Thanks
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cbsr2003 View Post
    I bought a used Hardinge Cobra 42 lathe with a fanuc 21t control and I am getting an alarm 086 alarm Dr signal off when trying to transmit. Is there a parameter that I can check to see if it is on, and not the PCB? Also if anyone knows which parameters to check the rest of the rs232 setting I would appreciate it.

Thanks
    Chris
    Hi Chris,
    Error P/S 86 is usually associated with the pin out of the cable being used. In most instances Software Handshaking (Xon Xoff) is used and when this is the case, a Loopback Null Modem cable, so named because the Handshake Outputs are Loopback to the corresponding Inputs on the same device, is used. The Loopback Handshaking gives the illusion of full Handshaking, when in fact there is no Handshaking at all. Following is the cable configuration for Xon Xoff Handshaking.

If you don't succeed with the following cable pin out and settings and the P/S 86 error persists, check the voltage between pins 20 and 7 at the control; it should be around 12VDC. Pin 6 and 8 are asserted logic 1 by pin 20. If the voltage is less than 3VDC, this will also cause the P/S 86 error.

Regards,

Bill

Loopback Null Modem Pin Out
    Machine Side ---------------------------------- PC Side
    DB25 Male Connector ---------------- DB9 Female ------ DB25 Female
    1 ---- Shield Trace ----------------Not Connected ---- Not Connected
    2 --------------------------------------- 2 --------------- 3
    3 --------------------------------------- 3 --------------- 2
    | Bridged

|
    8 All Bridged
    |

7 --------------------------------------- 5 --------------- 7

Machine Control Parameter Settings
    #0020 =0 (I/O Channel =0)
    Bit 1 = 0
    Bit 0 = 1 (2 Stop Bits)
    Bit 3 =0 EIA or ISO code (automatically distinguished)
    Bit 7 =1 No Feed (Null Characters) before and after the data at data output (
    #0102 = 0 (RS-232C using Control Characters DC1 to DC4)
    #0103 = 11 (9600)(Baud rate)

PC Software Settings
    Handshake Method = Xon Xoff
    Data Bits = 7
    Stop Bits = 2
    Parity Bit = Even
    Baud Rate = 9600 (or whatever the control is set to)

Unhappy Similar Issue

My mill has just started giving me this error. The only thing that happened of any significance was the PC getting unplugged by accident. It was not feeding a program at the time- in fact, the mill was off. We have been running Realterm to drip feed with the same settings and cable for two years now. None of the settings on the control are wrong; baud rate is ok, correct channel is selected, tv check is off.

I have completed these meter tests and determined the my pin 20 on the control reads 0V, with the PC cable unplugged from the mill.

What might we check next? All the posts I've seen about this issue seem to result in fixing broken cables. I have tested the cable, tried another cable, even tried another PC that runs other mills with both cables. I manually tested data coming from the serial port on the PC and it is fine. The issue clearly seems to be the mill side.

Is there a p/s, fuse, error, etc- anything else that I can check? I have checked all fuses on the back of machine, in case some type of power issue was the cause. None of the units in the back appeared to be off but I will be looking it over again.

Mill: YCM 1040A
    Control: Fanuc MXP 100i

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by angelw View Post
    Hi Chris,
    Error P/S 86 is usually associated with the pin out of the cable being used. In most instances Software Handshaking (Xon Xoff) is used and when this is the case, a Loopback Null Modem cable, so named because the Handshake Outputs are Loopback to the corresponding Inputs on the same device, is used. The Loopback Handshaking gives the illusion of full Handshaking, when in fact there is no Handshaking at all. Following is the cable configuration for Xon Xoff Handshaking.

If you don't succeed with the following cable pin out and settings and the P/S 86 error persists, check the voltage between pins 20 and 7 at the control; it should be around 12VDC. Pin 6 and 8 are asserted logic 1 by pin 20. If the voltage is less than 3VDC, this will also cause the P/S 86 error.

Regards,

Bill

Loopback Null Modem Pin Out
    Machine Side ---------------------------------- PC Side
    DB25 Male Connector ---------------- DB9 Female ------ DB25 Female
    1 ---- Shield Trace ----------------Not Connected ---- Not Connected
    2 --------------------------------------- 2 --------------- 3
    3 --------------------------------------- 3 --------------- 2
    | Bridged

|
    8 All Bridged
    |

7 --------------------------------------- 5 --------------- 7

Machine Control Parameter Settings
    #0020 =0 (I/O Channel =0)
    Bit 1 = 0
    Bit 0 = 1 (2 Stop Bits)
    Bit 3 =0 EIA or ISO code (automatically distinguished)
    Bit 7 =1 No Feed (Null Characters) before and after the data at data output (
    #0102 = 0 (RS-232C using Control Characters DC1 to DC4)
    #0103 = 11 (9600)(Baud rate)

PC Software Settings
    Handshake Method = Xon Xoff
    Data Bits = 7
    Stop Bits = 2
    Parity Bit = Even
    Baud Rate = 9600 (or whatever the control is set to)

Quote Originally Posted by cbsr2003 View Post

Thanks
    Chris

hi
    if the communication does not work with the proposal below.
    fanuc 16 18 21 have a spare port, in main board , JD5A = I/O chanel 0 and 1. JD5B = I/O chanel 2 and 3
    you can change the connector JD5 To JD5B.
    and you will SETT the parameters.
    good luck

Re: Fanuc 21t alarm 086 dr signal off

This seems to be a short circuit problem, can review this technical problem
    cookie clicker 2