584,861 active members*
4,717 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Is water based

coolent harmful to breath in?

It can definately be an irratant in mist (steam) form. As for chronic health problems, I'm not sure, but I can only imagine doing it for years will undoubtedly have adverse affects, just like anything else.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I'd give a big YES!!
    Especially in a mist. I'm sure there are those that
    are safer than others.
    I always make it a habit to read all data sheets.

PEACE

Some are. I worked at a shop for almost 12 years and they decided to change coolant brands to save money. After a few months or so I started having problems breathing and had to go to the hospital for testing. I was coughing up blood and when I sneezed it was like a geyser of blood spray. There were 2 or 3 other guys having problems too, although not as severe. It only affected 4 people out of 100 or so. Upon further checking of the M.S.D.S.'s, I found that the coolant when heated from heavy milling turned to steam, and gave off formaldyhide gas which is highly toxic. As soon as I informed the company what was going on they changed back to the original coolant and denied the findings about the formaldyhide gas, essentially covering their asses financially. Lovely people they were. Were... as in I quit shortly thereafter.
    JD
    Please Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this
    contaminant free message.
    We do concede, a signicant number of electrons may have been
    severely inconvenienced!

I went to a doctor a few years ago after machining graphite for months, alergies. (I'm not even alergic to poison ivy, let alone graphite!) He said it's completely inert, but after seeing the dust that was EVERYWHERE in the shop, I decided I didn't need a layer of that stuff coating my lungs...

'Rekd teh graphite buggers!
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

So what kind do you guys use? I use Trim E-190. I don't know that much about it, but I swear it's not that good for me.

Some coolants can give you skin problems (dermatites?). The inhalation of the mist can make you sick, especially if there is already some degree of bacteria growth in the coolant.
    During my apprenticeship i worked on a surface grinder with old coolant, well i had "gippo guts" for 3 days!!!

Klox
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

gippo guts?
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Rekd it's South African slang for diarroea!

Klox
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

I've seen a row of Milling Machines with one guy getting a cold and you could guarantee it would work it's way down the line as the coolant was shared between machines. The guys were coughing and spitting in the coolant *eeew* which is close to body temperature and so a good breeding ground/ carrier for bacteria and viruses (virii?).

Got the itch!!! Ive been plaged with reacouring skin itch rash dermitites ect for over two years Coolant ,solvent, kerosean, WD40, oil new, or used everthing seem's to bother hand's crack and bleed sometimes. One doctor sugested I changed job's Self employed Like that's going to happen .Med's help knock it down but when I quite It's back If anybody has a sugestion { Coolant brand } I would Be greatfull . Thank's KLT

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Taylor
    Got the itch!!! Ive been plaged with reacouring skin itch rash dermitites ect for over two years Coolant ,solvent, kerosean, WD40, oil new, or used everthing seem's to bother hand's crack and bleed sometimes. One doctor sugested I changed job's Self employed Like that's going to happen .Med's help knock it down but when I quite It's back If anybody has a sugestion { Coolant brand } I would Be greatfull . Thank's KLT
    Have you tried Shell Dromus B? It is a water mixable coolant used at a dilution of between 1 in 10 to 1 in 15.

Cool

I have had problems breathing in the spray coolant, then I found the night shift had taken it from the big machines! So I mixed my own batch every morning! Even if I did a job on the bridgeport that required a flood, I would never use the slop from the automatic machines! Yuck! :nono:
    Eric

We use Blasocut 2000 universal in our shop of approx. 14 cnc machines and a couple of manual machines. Its made by Blaser Swisslube. I don't know of anyone in the shop complaining about the smell or irritants or skin problems and we have been using it for over 15 years. What irks me is lately they put pedestal grinders at each cnc with scotchbrite wheels and the fibers get everywhere. I had the safety team look into it but they say its ok.

I work milling plastics a lot we've had skin probs and are pointing a finger at the PVC and Acrylic we m/c a lot so I'm still suspicious!

however going back to quality coolant definately helps now - we're on Castrol Hysol now, some of that cheap stuff needs a much bigger mix ratio of oil so they don't end up saving that much sometimes.

the coolant oil may cost twice as much but if it needs thee times the mix ratio it's daft IMHO.

folks don't damage your health if you can possibly help it. maybe tip off the Health n saftey it you're in a bad shop. keep anomous mind!

another device that can be fitted for enclosed machines is a large fan type device to suck out the mist - or a lot of it as the guard/door is opened - open door a foot or so - extraction kicks in for say 10 seconds and sucks most of mist out goes through a filter type thing to remove/recover coolant

few seconds extra at end of cycle and quite a few bucks mind.

Extrtaction is definately a good idea. I got an FC500 from Air Cleaning Systems coupled up to a big elephant trunk hose it pretty much takes all the crap away from the tool, including fumes. Here's their Webite http://www.acs-ltd.com/newsite/public/index.htm

Kevin... you're not wearin plastic gloves by any chance are you? what happens is the proteins in the latex,or whatever they're made of, can cause an allergic reaction- I know the symptoms and they sound exactly as you describe- chapped hands with cuts in the creases of your fingers that don't heal. I've had this and swapped to Low Protein Gloves.

We were advised by Health and Safety to use a Lanolin based hand cream, but try holding onto lenses (which I machine) with slippy hands Ooops! that's another one that hit the floor hehe!
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

My friend got reeeeaaally allergic to coolant. He couldn't even touch the machines if they weren't clean enough!

--Sven

Use a good quality barrier cream preferably one that isn't lanolin based. Also look a what you wash your hand with. Used to get this problem and found out it was the soap that the company supplied.

All the mechanics in work wear cheap disposable latex gloves. Might be an idea.

....Unless your also allergic to latex?

Unhappy This stuff is bad

After some health issues, research and pressure on the management finally there is some mist removers being installed. We run water soluable coolant with some 12 and 15k spindles that create alot of mist.

Check out this link I found, It will make you think.

http://nycosh.org/specific_industries/machine.html

Page 1 of 3 123