585,975 active members*
5,008 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > SmoothStepper Motion Control > SmoothStepper combined with a breakout board?

SmoothStepper combined with a breakout board?

I'm relatively new to CNC machines and hope this wonderful forum can help me out. I currently have a system with a TB6550 controller (I know they are flawed, and will replace it in the future). Seeing as how we need to switch to Windows 7 x64, it wouldn't hurt to buy a SmoothStepper. My question is, can I connect the SmoothStepper to the TB6550? From my understanding, the TB6550 is a combined breakout/driver board, so isn't it redundant to have two breakout boards?

Perhaps my understanding of the function of a SmoothStepper is flawed. Any explanation would be great!

Cheers.

The SmoothStepper is NOT a breakout board. It is a "signal conditioner" and gives you the ability to NOT use a parallel port to send signals. Instead of using a parallel port, you use either USB or Ethernet out of the computer, to the SmoothStepper. The output of the SmoothStepper is a parallel port, so that then connects to whatever used to connect to the computer parallel port (usually the breakout board). Since you are not using a parallel port, you can use MUCH higher communication rates and that is why you get smoother stepping (much more data). It also allows the use of computers without a parallel port (many computers in the last 5+ years don't have a parallel port any more).

So, in short, you would "traditionally" have:

Computer - Computer Parallel Port - Breakout Board (TB6550 in your case)?

Now you would have:

Computer - SmoothStepper (USB or Ethernet to computer) - Breakout Board
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

There are also much cheaper USB controller boards that directly output opto isolated step and dir.
    No breakout boards needed.
    They usually create their own clock, cache commands, have isolated 5V and many more (opto isolated) inputs and outputs.
    The advantage is that it's not the computer that is creating the timing in software. It can stall while a drive is spinning up, switch between sleep modes,... Without messing up the timing.

I think a smooth stepper would work fine with your control board. You may want to go with an Ethernet type smooth stepper.
    Jim
    www.outbackmachineshop.com