585,959 active members*
4,795 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > My 4th-Axis Leaks Oil like a Sieve

My 4th-Axis Leaks Oil like a Sieve

I filled it up with oil the very first time I used it just like the instructions said to do. I've had it for over a year now so the warranty has now expired.

I've used it a total of five times since I bought it; yesterday being the fifth time. When I checked the oil level it was bone-dry so I proceeded to fill it to the correct level. With the rotary table standing vertically I squirted some fresh oil into the fill-hole. I notice that the the little sight-glass showed no change after squirting several ounces of oil into it.

DUH! The oil was running out from underneath the rotary table just as fast as I was pouring it in.

I haven't tried to do anything about it yet. My work schedule is busy right now so I've had to set it aside until I can devote my complete attention to it. I thought I'd mention it here in hopes that one of you guys has had a similar experience; and maybe you can suggest the quickest way to fix it.

I'm looking for wisdom without the sarcasm if possible. I'll figure it out eventually but rather than the trial and error approach, I thought that maybe someone who's been there and done that could chime in.

Thanks in advance.

MetalShavings

I repaired a 10" horizontal rotary table, there were no seals of any kind in it, I just packed it with wheel bearing grease as I had envisioned using it vertical with an angle plate.
    mike sr

The user manual says:

With the table in the vertical position fill the reservoir until oil just begins to leak out at the bottom of the table.(chair)(chair)

Phil

I initially had the same problem. I kept adding oil expecting to see something. I finally realized that the hole in the bottom was bigger than the hole in the top and it was running out.

Looking critically at it, I came to the conclusion that the the site glass was intended for use when the axis was flat on its back as a horizontal "C" Axis. At least this rationized the result in my mind and allowed me to plow ahead.

I now add 90wt gear oil till it starts to come out the "leak" and call it good.

nitewatchman

Thank you gentlemen: your replies are reassuring.

Believe it or not I did read the manual. The fact that the little sight-glass shows absolutely nothing makes it absolutely useless if you're using it to check the amount of oil in the rotary table.

If the oil all runs out the bottom before it registers in the sight-glass, what's the point?

My concern was that it had any oil in it at all.

Many thanks for your replies. At least now I know that it most likely has some oil in it and I'm not running it dry.

I have some of that "Gear-Oil" that nitewatchman mentioned, in my storage room. I may try that next time I use my 4th-Axis.

MetalShavings

Quote Originally Posted by MetalShavings View Post

If the oil all runs out the bottom before it registers in the sight-glass, what's the point?
    As stated earlier, the sight glass if for use when it is laid flat, not standing up. As a sanity check, fill it until it just starts to run out the bottom, then lay it flat and see if it shows on the sight glass.

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    As stated earlier, the sight glass if for use when it is laid flat, not standing up. As a sanity check, fill it until it just starts to run out the bottom, then lay it flat and see if it shows on the sight glass.
    Done that, it don't.

nitewatchman

Quote Originally Posted by MetalShavings View Post
    If you wish to avoid sarcastic comments please, please just RTFM.

Quote:

With the table in the horizontal position and the oil plug removed, fill the reservoir until the sight glass shows oil to the middle of the window.

Quote:

With the table in the vertical position fill the reservoir until oil just begins to leak out at the bottom of the table.

Quote:

Overfilling the reservoir will result in a slow leakage of oil until it reaches the proper level. When the reservoir is filled to the proper level in the horizontal position and the table is moved to the vertical position oil will leak out.

Phil

Hey philbur, do you enjoy being the perpetual antagonist?

Phil is just keeping it real . He simply posted what the manual said.

Read your post then read my post and decide who contributed most toward answering the OP question.

Sometimes people need a poke with a sharp stick to help them see what is in front of their eyes.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by dbrija View Post
    Hey philbur, do you enjoy being the perpetual antagonist?

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    Read your post then read my post and decide who contributed most toward answering the OP question.

Sometimes people need a poke with a sharp stick to help them see what is in front of their eyes.

Phil

These kinds of replies seem to be getting more prevalent now days. I'm not really sure of the psychological dynamics that causes this. I have noticed that such comments are more often made by those with a high post-count or by the newbie who's trying to let their presence be known by sounding like they know more than they actually do.

It can get kind of irritating but, I know of no forum in existence where this kind of thing doesn't happen.

By the way; in post #5, I stated the following, "Believe it or not I did read the manual. The fact that the little sight-glass shows absolutely nothing makes it absolutely useless if you're using it to check the amount of oil in the rotary table."

I wasn't kidding. I really did read the manual regarding the workings of the 4th-Axis; in fact, like most tormach owners, I've read it several times.

Now I got to figure out how to delete my OP so that it doesn't get spun into an off-tangent controversy; all over some leaking oil and a useless sight-glass.

MetalShavings

Shavings,

If I came across out of line or condescending it was not my intention.

I too read the manual before using my fourth axis for the first time and was aware of the "leak" and adding oil until it leaked out, BUT I had paid enough for the little fella to get concerned about seeing "NO OIL IN THE SIGHT GLASS". While I was sure that it was okay per what I had read in the manual I still checked and rechecked the oil level to assure that oil was on the ring gear. I also probably should have asked the question on the forum, in the panic I didn't think of it.

So I guess I can be put in that same class of people that need to be poked with a sharp stick or those that should RTFM. In my opinion, this is the place to reach out to our peers that have "been there" and "done that" to make sure that interpretations of manuals, concepts, and ideas are correct. I teach sessions and classes within our company about how to design and build Railway Special Trackwork (switches, turnouts and diamond crossings) on my day job. One common problems is that people will ask questions one on one after the session that would have been beneficial for all to hear and participate in the discussion. One of the biggest reason they didn't ask the question in the session is peer ridicule and smart ass statements that lead to silence and embarassment.

Maybe we should all (this post included) read a post back after it has been typed as if it is directed at us personally with sensitivity towards condescension, sarcasm, belittlement, offensive tone or language, superiority, etc. before hitting the send key.

Not meaning to challenge or offend, just saying---

nitewatchman

I've had no real problems with anyone's post thus far. I've noticed that there's many times a pattern that occurs in the replies to just about any inquiry one makes on this or any other forum. That "Pattern" can include both helpful and un-helpful replies.

I haven't been able to delete my OP so I guess this thread will just have to run its course.

Good, Bad or indifferent, the various replies are all part of being a part of an online forum.

nitewatchman: No worries; I do agree with you reply.

MetalShavings

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatchman View Post
    Shavings,

If I came across out of line or condescending it was not my intention.

I too read the manual before using my fourth axis for the first time and was aware of the "leak" and adding oil until it leaked out, BUT I had paid enough for the little fella to get concerned about seeing "NO OIL IN THE SIGHT GLASS". While I was sure that it was okay per what I had read in the manual I still checked and rechecked the oil level to assure that oil was on the ring gear. I also probably should have asked the question on the forum, in the panic I didn't think of it.

So I guess I can be put in that same class of people that need to be poked with a sharp stick or those that should RTFM. In my opinion, this is the place to reach out to our peers that have "been there" and "done that" to make sure that interpretations of manuals, concepts, and ideas are correct. I teach sessions and classes within our company about how to design and build Railway Special Trackwork (switches, turnouts and diamond crossings) on my day job. One common problems is that people will ask questions one on one after the session that would have been beneficial for all to hear and participate in the discussion. One of the biggest reason they didn't ask the question in the session is peer ridicule and smart ass statements that lead to silence and embarassment.

Maybe we should all (this post included) read a post back after it has been typed as if it is directed at us personally with sensitivity towards condescension, sarcasm, belittlement, offensive tone or language, superiority, etc. before hitting the send key.

Not meaning to challenge or offend, just saying---

nitewatchman
    I agree!

As the old saying goes, If you dont have something good or helpful to say, dont say anything............
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nitewatchman View Post
    Done that, it don't.

nitewatchman
    Logically, though, the two positions could require different oil fill levels. Though personally, even if states in the manual "fill until it leaks" is a pretty hokey system.

Almost for sure the table is a minimum cost conversion of a manual table which would have originally been lubed with grease. However once it is CNCed it can be expected to work much harder for a living, which means grease is out unless you are prepared to strip it down at regular intervals just to check and re-grease. However switching to oil presents a number of issues, including no seals and unequal volume reservoirs, hence the procedure for oil filling. If you want none Hokey you probably need to spend significantly more money. Purpose build rotary tables can be mind boggling expensive.

I converted an 8" Vertex RT to CNC, it is still lubed with gease. I haven't used it that much since the conversion but I will probably need to strip it before long, just to see how the grease on the worm and pinion is doing.

Just a thought

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by rlockwood View Post
    Logically, though, the two positions could require different oil fill levels. Though personally, even if states in the manual "fill until it leaks" is a pretty hokey system.

I do think the design is not well thought out. Every time I use it, I have to drain it as it fills up with coolant in either orientation. It should have SOME kind of seal on the dang thing or just be able to run dry or on the coolant that gets in it. I also don't like that it doesn't know position by default and requires more expense, nor does it fit on the table of the 1100 with the factory shield.... That said, I like having a rotary table, but would like them to tidy up the loose ends on it.

I've always wondered why rotary tables use oil instead of grease. Seems to me grease would work just as well, and be a lot less trouble.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I don't use my 4th-Axis enough to really complain to hard about it. It does strike me as one of those "Good Enough" kind of deals where the engineers, rather than putting a whole lot of effort into it, decided it was "Good Enough" just as it was/is.

The same for the decision to use oil instead of grease. "The same thin oil used for oiling the mill will be used for oiling the 4th-Axis." This is just speculations but, it may increase the probability that we'll buy from them rather than our neighborhood hardware store.

The oil leak on the 4th-Axis is a weak link in an otherwise, good machine.

MetalShavings