584,865 active members*
4,984 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Maverick I need help

Hello guys,
    I have this 1988 Sabre 750 with an 850 control. I am ready now to start running it and have a problem. The tram is not set correctly.
    I was wondering how the previous owner came up with some of the tool offsets he had stored. When I set the mill up to take a test cut
    I could tell something just isn't right. My question is how do you set the tram on this old mill? I have done this on later models but need to know if it is done differently on this one. If it is different can somebody send me the procedure?
    Thanks,
    Scott

On verticals tram is related to machine level, unless there is something wrong with the machines mechanics, tram should come in when the machine is level. If it is level, and tram is more then .002 .003 off, you have a geometry problem. A realy bad crash can knock tram out by eather cocking the spindle cartridge in the casting or causing a guid rail issue. It is not unheard of to tweek the level to bring in the tram under .002 My 2 cents.

I've never had to spend much time in front of an 850SX, usually mechanical or in the electrical cabinet when there are problems, so don't know what to tell you for this. However, I have 3 jobs lined up in the next week on 850SX controlled machines, so may be able to figure it out and will let you know what I come up with.
    For now, a previous CNCZone thread may help you: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cincin...set_reset.html
    When you mention wondering how the previous owner came up with some of his tool offsets, what was the typical tool length? I've seen a lot of shops that use the tool change height for their tram position and touch each tool off to the part surface, resulting in lengths that don't correspond with a true tool length.

PM sent, not sure if you saw it.

Thank you