584,849 active members*
4,307 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Building a power supply with decent volt/amperage

Building a power supply with decent volt/amperage

I can't find a power supply that fits my needs, so I'm afraid I will have to attempt to build one.
    I have 3 motors to power (for now). two 400oz 5amp motors frm IDC, and one 270oz motor from LIN engineering.
    As this project gets more and more sophisticated, I will get get more 23 frame motors but I have a power supply already for that.

My drivers will take up to 100v, 8 amps per motor. Can somebody help me out in choosing parts to build this thing? I have limited electrical experience, though I have come a long ways since when i started CNC as a hobby.

looks like your drives will handle 800 watts.

if you can find some toroid isolation transformers at 1000 watts, you could just take off a few turns from the secondary till u get the desired voltage out.

this is providing you are in north america where the line voltage is 120vac.

then go through a 25 or 35 amp rectifyer bridge.

put some filter caps on the dc side rated above your dc output.

at least 20,000 uf, put a voltage draining resistor on the caps.
    ... there you have it, 1 maximum power supply for 1 drive.

Phant: What drive are you using? If you're using nema23 motors, you won't need a very large power supply.

The X and Y axes are nema34 frames. THats why they are 5amps, I think they might even be a little more, have to check the data sheet at some point....

Drives are being custom made by a very savvy friend of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomcow2
    I can't find a power supply that fits my needs, so I'm afraid I will have to attempt to build one.
    I have 3 motors to power (for now). two 400oz 5amp motors frm IDC, and one 270oz motor from LIN engineering.
    As this project gets more and more sophisticated, I will get get more 23 frame motors but I have a power supply already for that.

My drivers will take up to 100v, 8 amps per motor. Can somebody help me out in choosing parts to build this thing? I have limited electrical experience, though I have come a long ways since when i started CNC as a hobby.
    hi phantomcow

try this link and the person who wrote it is CNCadmin

CNCadmin has also another thread but couldnt find it maybe PM him and ask for a link , this other thread he posted was a well detailed document on how to make a power supply from scratch and explained all the ins and outs of power supply for a specific need.

http://www.cnczone.com/modules.php?n...warticle&id=27

will be a very interesting reading if anything , hope it helps

cheers