585,996 active members*
4,622 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Ease of modifiying TTS tooling

A thing I like about TTS tools is the ease at which TTS tools can be modified. I needed small extra clearance when cutting a 1/16" keyway slot with a 1/16" endmill held in a TTS ER20 holder. The solution was to chuck the ER20 holder in a 3/4" 5C collet in my lathe and turn some of the diameter from the ER20 nut.

Don Clement

I've done that by accident with fixture bolts by forgetting required tool stick out, but your lathe technique has a much better finish

I could have done the same by mounting a carbide insert lathe tool in a vise using the TTS tool in place on the Tormach. The 3/4" straight shank does make it easy to chuck in a lathe though particularly a 3/4" 5C collet.

Don Clement

Yep. One of many reasons I am looking forward to a lathe with 5C. I know I old modify some to work but I have a 12x37 which is a very oddball lathe. Meah. I'll just wait till Tormach releases their large which will have a 5C option.

I use 5C not only on my lathe but on fixtures for the Tormach. See picture at the start of this thread. A 5/8" 5C collet in a Eagle Rock fixture with collet stop makes for quick work of milling a 1/16" keyway slot and parts are quickly changed. BTW I also use my TTS holders in my lathe e.g. here is a TTS drill chuck held in a 5C bar on my KDK QCTP on my lathe

I had noticed what looks like mill marks on your 5C block in the vise and was curious if you had to mill it square. I haven't had a need yet but love the option for set ups.

Quote Originally Posted by WOTDesigns View Post
    I had noticed what looks like mill marks on your 5C block in the vise and was curious if you had to mill it square. I haven't had a need yet but love the option for set ups.
    Yes I had to mill two sides of the Eagle Rock 5C fixture http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/pr...ategoryID=5602 square as those two sides were left rough casting. I use those two sides in the application shown. The kurt D688 vise works great with the Eagle Rock 5C fixture.

I not only use the Eagle Rock 5C fixture in the position shown but also in the vertical position. Shown below are the Turcite parts I make using the 5C fixture.

Don Clement

Quote Originally Posted by WOTDesigns View Post
    I've done that by accident with fixture bolts by forgetting required tool stick out, but your lathe technique has a much better finish
    Ditto, I hate when that happens