585,779 active members*
4,023 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > DNC Problems and Solutions > CMC Tape Twin BTR System DNC to Bridgeport BOSS 5

CMC Tape Twin BTR System DNC to Bridgeport BOSS 5

Has anyone used the Tape Twin BTR system by CMC? It looks like it was made in about 1994. I got this unit a few years ago with some spare parts for my Series 1 BOSS 5 Bridgeport and just recently hooked it up. I did get it to work fairly easily by experimenting because it was still hooked up to the old unit and simply plugged it into mine. It seems to work by sending only one line at a time to the machine. It looks like some other units for the old BOSS controls send out enough program to fill the memory then stop and load more but this one doesn't seem to work that way. It looks like it originally ran off of a floppy but was reconfigured to use the hard drive. I did call the support number in the manual and they said they haven't sold or supported them for at least 5 years now. I was just interested to find out if anyone else has used this system or what other systems people have used on the older BOSS 4, 5 or 6 controls.

Kevin

A friend of mine has a shop where I maintain a couple of his Tape Twin units, and we're looking for another, if you happen to have an unused one.

Tape Twin

I don't have an extra unit, just the one I'm using. I did send you a PM also.

Kevin

Ok BTR I need help I am looking for information for the DNC 1.3 this allows communication with the Parallel port on a PC to CNC I was wondering if anyone had any experience I am currently hooked up to the Boss 4 CNC apparently to the Tape reader I am using the remote port on the CNC I am able to receive from the machine but not able to send a program. I am a little confused as I am using the serial port on the local port on the machine this is supposed to be the .20 ma side of the machine. I understand that somewhere they made this Local port cable of serial com as well. I need a little direction. I have done some complete system upgrades using gecko drives but it is more of a challenge to try to make this machine run with what is already there. I did notice that DNC 1.3 would work great have not been able to find an old copy to do this. If anyone has any old tape for the the drives I might right my own interface program using the serial port to simulate the tape drive sounds like it would be a little challenge. Any ideas. Also does the new version of DNC work with the parallel port or are they using the serial Remote port on the machine to .20 ma to communicate. Thanks in advance.