585,973 active members*
4,192 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > New user, new lathe user, new everything and a daft question

New user, new lathe user, new everything and a daft question

Hey guys, everything is all very new, so please bare with me on the stupid questions!

Ok, im looking at getting a mini lathe, and i want to work some stainless (either 303 or 316, from what i know, 303 would be better for machining!)

My dad is going to get annoyed, an engineer of 40years, but as hes away for 2 weeks, i cant get any answers!

So, i have a few....if you dont mind?

a) Spindle bore size - will this dictate the diameter of the work piece, ie. If i wanted to work with a 25mm dia rod, and the spindle bore is only 20mm, will this fit?

b) Will a mini lathe turn stainless?

c) Does tool holder shank size matter?

Hopefully, there not too stupid/nieve!

I look forward to learning a lot whilst here.

Many thanks
    Eddy

well in order to answer some questions...

why the need for 316? 303 is alot easier to machine 304 seems to be the goto stainless for most projects, 316 is more abrasive and has different properties. if things are decorative use 303.

A)spindle bore size only limits what can go through the spindle. the chuck will holder larger material but not a full bar length. with a 20mm spindle bore your limited to 20 mm. that being said you don't want to have any extra material hanging out the back of the spindle unless its supported, very bad things happen if its not.

B) a mini lathe will turn stainless, the question is how good do you want the part to look? stainless needs to be cut not rubbed otherwise it work hardens. cutting less on stainless isn't always possible and the ridgity of the machine plays a big role in this. the mini lathe is not ridgid.

C) the holder shank size matters more when your taking heavy cuts on hard material. this prevents tool deflection. the mini lathe will most likely be limitted when using 1/2 inch tooling so using anything with a larger shank would be a waste of time.

Thankyou for taking the time to get back to me, really appreciated

By the sounds of it, 303 will be fine, is 304 much harder to machine? And i pressume above all, it'll be easier than 316 stainless? (EDIT - the use of 316 was because this section will be submersed in a liquid, will 303 be ok?)

a) So, if the spindle size is 20mm, but i have a 4" 3 jaw chuck, im limited more by the size of the chuck rather than the spindle? I wont be machining long or lengthy pieces, at most, 90mm length of 25mm diameter stainless.

b)I want the part to look as good as i can get it really, will using 303 turn better and give a better look? I have some nice tools on the way, and also a lube/coolant setup on the way to (as i read this helps with finishing), your thoughts?

c) Ive got a set of 12mm and 10mm Glanze tool holders, would these be enough for light cuts on a mini lathe for stainless?

Sorry if this is all relatively boring/obvious stuff, but starting from scratch is kinda hard to find these answers, my dad said he'd teach me how to use a lathe when he has time, in the meantime, im trying to learn all i can, and answer some questions id like to clear first.

So, thanks again for your responses, anything extra that will help will be great!