584,817 active members*
4,676 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 6 of 6 456

Re: Hurco KMB1 upgrade

A realy crane. Not an engine lift or most gantry cranes. I am sure you know, but the whole machine weighs about 4K lbs. Also, don't skimp on the trailer. A tandem trailer with atleast 6500 lb (7000+GVWR) weight limit is in my opinion the minimum to haul it. I brought mine home on a car hauler.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

I will haul it over split in half. So gantry crane will lift it no problem. I just got a price to move it for $400 to just pick it up a drive it to new shop next door with fork lift.

Hey guys here are some videos on the steps I took to get this in paint,along with a final walkaround. Getting very close to move in date...I need to get my butt in gear!

https://youtu.be/Pz5IWXIQZGU

https://youtu.be/ebpj5XzkXZs

https://youtu.be/FzVQqI4zxtk

Little update on the KMB1 build.
    During a strange turn of events I no longer own the Hurco mill. Wife and I decided to build a new home and during the sale the new owner decided to purchase the Hurco from me. I was hesitant to sale it since it was ready for electronics,but did make it easier on me not needing to move it.

So consider this project closed

I ended up buying this mill from the new owner at the end of January. It was the exact type of project I was looking for. We picked it up and moved it a few days ago. That thing is heavy. The loader we brought wouldn't pick it up so we had to run down to the rental place a few miles away and rent an small boom lift. Its sitting on a trailer in my parents barn for now until I can line up a way to pick it up off the trailer and set it in my shop.

I plan on continuing the retrofit using an Centroid Acorn board. They have a lot of neat features including that 4th axis control.

Were there any spare parts that you left, or was it just the mill and the operator panel/station? More or less I'm looking for the way lube system and the power electronics. I would rather reuse some of the old fuse holders and power supply components instead of designing my own circuit boards from scratch.

Thanks for your time.

Hey moore60

Sorry for late reply,I didn't get a notification.
    What a small world it is. Unfortunately as I reach the deadline on moving out I had actually planed on scraping it and the new owner said he would get rid of it for me. I tossed everything else in the dumpster including the full enclosure I made for it.
    All the way / ball screw oil lines are still in place. Input line is on the left side of the knee as your facing it. The one line feeds everything.
    Hope you you get it going

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by FannBlade View Post
    Hey moore60

Sorry for late reply,I didn't get a notification.
    What a small world it is. Unfortunately as I reach the deadline on moving out I had actually planed on scraping it and the new owner said he would get rid of it for me. I tossed everything else in the dumpster including the full enclosure I made for it.
    All the way / ball screw oil lines are still in place. Input line is on the left side of the knee as your facing it. The one line feeds everything.
    Hope you you get it going

Good Luck

Oh? Wow! I'm so sorry to hear that you had to let the machine go.

I had at one time about decided to scrap mine out and started selling off tool holders. Then I changed my mind and fixed it. Now I miss all those tool holders. On a positive note I discovered I really like Acura Flex tool holders, and brand new collets for them from Universal are not very expensive.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Just picked up a Hurco KMB-IS at an auction.

Intention is to replace the early 80's electronics with something considerably more modern.

I have the owners manual and the operators manuals. I believe this unit is serial number 4 or 5.

Assuming the quill is Kwik Switch 200, but I can find no mention of this in the manuals. Machine did not include any tooling.

Can anybody comment on the availability of Kwik Switch 200 tooling? If the situation is bad enough, the Hurco might turn into 3500 lbs of scrap iron :-(.

Machine has Electro-Craft MAX-430 drives and 0703-02-089 motors. Power electronics (electrolytic capacitors) don't age well. Probably scrap the drives. Would like to use the motors. Can find no spec sheet on the motors. Does anybody know where I can fine one? And what's the advice on encoder upgrade and new drives?

If this project takes off, I'll probably start my own build thread.

Thanks for the info FannBlade,

I've gotten all my electronics mounted and wired. I will have some tweaking left todo as I work on an estop circuit. We tested the Axis control using MachDrives BRB controllers. With sloppy tuning, I was getting an estimated tolerance of +/-.0004, with the majority of the travel error in the +/-.00009 range. Most of the travel was from acceleration.

I believe it has to do with the voltage I am running. Only using 50 volts DV since the transformer I have is 35 VRMS. If I can get it up closer to 70 VDC, I might get better speed and response. I ended up using E6-2500 encoders, with the stock drives. It works well, and I think it will work better once I get the oiler installed, and bump the transformer to the next set of windings.

If Bob sees this, I do have a question about the oiler he changed out. I found a "new" electric Bijur D2998, which cycles ever 27.7 minutes and delivers up to 5CC per cycle. From what I can tell it is a continuous oiler that slowly rotates to push a small amount of oil all the time.

I saw on your old thread that you put an electronic oiler on yours. Did you have any trouble with the oil pressure? This one tops out at 60 psi max, and the old Air RAM style topped out (based on bleeds and air pressure) at around 850-1200 psi. Did you have to change the bleeds to make the electronic one work, or was the pressure enough to keep things adequately lubed?

I do see that the Z axis belt and cogs may need to be replaced on it, they are incredibly noisy.

I'll post some photos once I get around to it. I have some students using it as a 4-H project that I am mentoring. Its been a learning experience, but this year has been tough to find time and resources to work on it.

Thanks,
    Josh

I get all my Kwik Switch tooling from Steve at
    Tools-n-Gizmos: New and Used Machine Tooling

Awesome inventory of new and used .
    No relations with vendor , just good service
    Rich

I've got a bunch I need to sell. I loved the Hurco, but I ended up being given a different machine... I also have a whole boatload of retrofit stuff, and plans, if you are interested.

Sure, I'm interested in any Hurco KMB1 parts you might have. PM me a list.

I totally forgot about this.... I'll do have photos which I'll try to dig out. Obviously this has been very "pressing" for me. Sadly, I'm on mandatory overtime right now for a project, so I'm kind of under the gun for a bit.

Page 6 of 6 456