585,729 active members*
4,862 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tramming help

Hi guys
    So a bought a tramming tool from edge technology, I am just confused as what to tram to? As this is a home built cnc, do I surface the table first, but that puts lines in the table and then tram or do I tram it first to an unsurfaced table that might be out? So I am just confused as to how to get it perfectly straight up and down
    Any help would be fantastic thanks
    Chris

Surface the table in a circle that lines up with the tram tool

You might have to go back and forth between tramming the spindle, surfacing the table and squaring the z axis depending on how far out everything is, and don't expect the tram to stay put unless it's a very rigid machine and gets light use. Even heavy mills have a hard time staying perfect.

Sent from tapatalk

It depends on your design. If you have designed your machine for adjustability, it is a fairly straightforward process. If I am correctly comprehending the ads for the Edge Technology dial indicators, you simply mount the shaft into the chuck of your router (with it turned OFF, of course). Next rotate the router chuck by hand until the two indicators are in alignment with your Y axis, and jog the z axis down toward your table, until both dial indicators are in contact with the table. At this point, you would then adjust the angle of Y axis rail by tilting one end up or down as needed until you achieve an equal reading on BOTH of the indicators. Next, you would rotate the router chuck until the two indicators are in alignment with your X axis, and repeat. Of course, this is assuming that your table surface is already fairly close to being perfectly flat. By using this method FIRST, and then using the router to plane the entire surface of your table, you will be about as close as you can get. My "Table" would be better compared to a pallet or skid. It is constructed of several aluminum slats, mounted to a steel frame. There is no continuous flat surface wider than 3.5 inches to measure from across the surface of the entire table. For this reason, I purchased a polished slab of granite counter-top, which I layed on the table "surface" in order to have a continuous flat surface to measure from. However, experience has taught me (working with wood) that no matter how precise a machine's table may be, the material being cut by it rarely (if ever) is perfectly flat. For precision work such as engravings of very small lettering, I have learned that it is necessary to first PLANE the area of the wood to be engraved, change the cutting bit, and then do the engraving. Wood expands, and contracts on a constant basis. I have learned that the best results are achieved by doing the engravings IMMEDIATELY following the plaing operation. Leaving the same wood stock undisturbed, and clamped down on the table overnight after the planing operation will sometimes change it's shape! I.E.-Don't wait around to do the engraving. Hope this helps.