585,894 active members*
4,584 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Help - Motor bumps but doesn't spin

Question Help - Motor bumps but doesn't spin

I'm working on connecting my first cnc machine. Right now I have a Keling c10 BOB with a KL4030 driver and 36V power supply.
    I've connected the first stepper (270oz/in) and tried to test it and ran into troubles already.Using EMC2, when the X-axis tries to move the motor bumps, makes a bit of noise and shifts on the table, but the axis never spins. If I decrease the voltage from the driver I can hear that it doesn't bump as hard, but still no spinning.

I've already checked the 5V power to the board and linked it to the en.
    I switched the jumper so that the common port is 5v.
    4 wires go from the BOB to the driver (ENA+ and - are empty per the diagrams)
    B- has the blue wire, B+ has the red wire, A- has the green wire, A+ has the black wire, GND- goes to V-, VCC+ goes to V+

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks,
    Nate

Try set jumpers as follows.

Com=ground
    Pins 2-9 = pull down
    Use pins 2-9 =output
    Inputs = pull up

You didn't mention anything about Step , Direction or Ena connections to the 4030
    Pul + , Dir + Ena+ Connect to appropriate pins
    Pul - , Dir-, Ena-, Connect to com on C10.

I never even used my C 10 as the 4030 is opto isolated.

Alright So I fixed my issue, but I don't understand why... when I ran the stepconfwizard for EMC2 it has a setting for KL 4030 drivers with the step time/space and direction hold/setup times so I chose it. When I went back though the setup instructions I noticed the default times were much longer so I used those instead and everything started working.

With the presets the numbers were step time 5,000, step space 5,000, direction hold 20,000, direction setup 20,000
    With the defaults from the manual I used step time 10,000 Space 10,000 Hold 200,000 Setup 200,000 and it appears to be working

any explanation or confirmation that I'm on the right track would be helpful

Appearances may not be what they seem to be.
    I don't understand the reasoning for the numbers you used for the 4030 setup.

Most stepper motor drivers need tens or hundreds of microseconds (10's of thousands to hundreds of thousands of nanoseconds which is the unit used in the program) to respond to a change in a step or direction signal. For example, the cheap 6560 drivers need 90uS to step. The Linistepper needs a bit less. The Pololu drivers only need 1uS (!!) which is really unusual and which has kept people who use the Marlin or Sprinter firmware stuck on that driver since that firmware puts out a tiny narrow little pulse. Our THB6064AH based driver works with the 1uS step pulse even though the chip actually needs 2.3uS because we stretch the pulse a bit on the board.
    RAMPS Merlin NEMA23 via THB6064AH 50volt 4amp stepper driver - YouTube

Anyway, the point is that different drivers need different step times and you need to find that in the drive documentation.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)