584,841 active members*
4,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Gecko vs Rutex

Which are better between Gecko and Rutex?

I'd really like to use Rutex because it has allot of bells and whistles. I like that I can plug three driver boards into a mini-motherboard and have the parallel port connect to that (less wiring). And they have a "Four relay outputs" board that I can simply plug in.
    Three Gecko 340's at $148.00 each is $450. Three Rutex R990H's at $148.00 each plus the mini-motherboard (optional) for $58 is about $508.00. Not much difference in price and the Rutex can read my motor encoders (differential) and the Gecko's can't without some added stuff. Plus, I can always add the relay output board to the Rutex later.
    So, does anyone know why I would pick Gecko over Rutex? Is there anything wrong with the Rutex? Are the Rutex more fragile than the Gecko or something? I know that Gecko is a very good and trusted brand. Isn't Rutex also? I'm just wondering why so few people use Rutex and everyone and their dog seems to use Gecko.

Thanks for any information..........Sam

You can use a diferential encoder with a gecko but you need to power it from the +5 volt step/dir common (PC power supply). It's there on the drive anyways so no big deal.

The rutex is nice if your motors are higher voltage (up to 200 volts vs 80).

In the end I went with gecko's mostly because of price ($114 vs. $148) and because they are in the US, vs Europe.

I am glad I did.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

balsaman:
    The savings just don't seem that big (Rutex even has some cheaper servo drives at $98). You loose the bells and whistles with Gecko's. And whether they are in the US or Australia also doesn't seem that important because either way: shipping will be about a week or so, emails are free and instant communication to either company, and neither is down the block from me.

I do like some of the stories I hear about Gecko customer support. People frying their drives and Gecko fixing/replacing them for free, etc...Kudo's!
    Any other reasons I should choose Gecko?

With Gecko you can phone and speak with the engineer who designed the drive. This can be worth it’s weight in gold if you’re using your machine to earn a living. Quite often superior customer service, on it’s own, is worth the price of admission.

Steve
    www.tac-pro.com

Gecko vrs Rutex

I've been checking it out as well.
    Seems Rutex will be setting up a US dealer soon. It is in the
    works and supplies will be from the US of A. The dealer is also
    a builder and has experience with several drivers.
    I don't know much else about any of the details.

Marc and boyz

For the servo drives, go with Rutex. The problem with the Gecko is the very small error range +- 128 counts. This causes them to fault too much.
    Gecko stepper drives are ok for the price, but quality seems to be a question. No heatsink insulators and not good where there may be metalic dust, since the mosfets can short to the case. Also the 100uF internal capacitor runs very hot.
    For high current check out the Larken Cobra drives. They work well for currents up to 10 amps.

I don't have any trouble with my Gecko G320's faulting at ALL!!

If you have a large count encoder this could be your problem.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Me niether, unless I crash

Eric

Jeff said "I don't have any trouble with my Gecko G320's faulting at ALL!!

If you have a large count encoder this could be your problem."

Could you bring me up to speed as to what size motors and encoder you are running ? The boyz and I are slowly catching up....is there a ratio of encoder size/motor size or something or feedrates or ???

I am getting the final wires connected for my G-320 4 axis and hope to cut wax soon....the Geckos are a couple of years old and sat in closet with parts till health got lined up.....I wonder if there have been changes since I got mine?

I have another system in the works, so need to figure some things out.

thanks for all your help

There have been some changes to the Geckos. Minor I think. You could ask mariss to be sure.

Eric

I run my G320's with 36 VDC 430 oz/in servo's with USDigital 250 CPR encoders.

I have both sets of G320's. (old ones and new ones) They both work fine with my 250 CPR encoders.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I run my G320's with 36 VDC 430 oz/in servo's with USDigital 250 CPR encoders. I have both sets of G320's. (old ones and new ones) They both work fine with my 250 CPR encoders.
    250 count encoder ?? No most motors run at least 1000- 4000 counts I was running 2000 counts and had problems. Is that 250 count encoder off a 20 year old printer or something? At 2000 counts the motor just has to be turned by a few degrees and it trips its fault, causeing the machine axis to freewheel and destroy your workpiece. The Rutex is far safer since it has a 32000 count error range.

By the way i have the Gecko 320's for sale, 2 for $90 each or best offer. They are just sitting on the shelf

Routerman.
    Are these still 4 sale?
    Thanks

I use Rutex and so far am very pleased with the results.
    You have access to Vlad, the Rutex builder by email. He is quick with a responce.

When I was trying to pick what cards to use, it was 1 thread where this guy had lots of problems with Gecko that made me decside to use Rutex. This guy said that he swapped over to Rutex and all his problems were solved.

While Rutex is an Australian brand, they have an American outlet and backup.
    I have written a review of the Rutex cards here. http://cnczone.com/modules.php?name=...rticle&artid=9

I dont barrack for any side. My only experience is with Rutex so I can comment on Gecko other than from what I have read.
    Being outside the square !!!

Gentlemen,

I provide the first line of support for Rutex products in the USA. I do not visit this web site very regularly, I admit. I can see that it is getting more popular, however, and I may need to check in more regularly. The best and quickest support for Rutex products is through their web site, Rutex.com. If you need to talk to me over the phone, call me at (573) 341 1528. Additionally, Rutex has an excellent setup and tune manual on its website which I encourage anyone considering building servo systems to check out.

The Rutex drives are manufactured in Australia, but I usually have inventory here in Missouri. We, doing business as Machine Solutions (my sons and I use the Rutex drives) in large lathes that we configure with our custom control. My son has begun to build a web site, www.machinesolutions.biz.

Rutex stands behind its products, and technical questions which I cannot answer are forwarded to an engineer in Australia. I have never seen him not answer a question fully if asked through his web site or through myself.

The new line of Rutex drives (revision F) which are soon to be released are very robust, and drive tuning and custom features available through the software interface have been increased dramatically.

Please visit the Rutex web site and look around.

Tom Eldredge,
    Rutex Support, USA
    (573) 341 1528

Rutex drive customers:

I forgot to mention that as long as I have the drives in stock, any orders placed though the Rutex web site will be filled the next day. Orders are emailed to me ovenight, and I fill them the next day, and ship UPS in whatever priority you choose.

Tom Eldredge,
    Rutex Support, USA.

I love my Rutex hardware, and they run perfectly with my brand new Yaskawa servo's with 250ppr encoders!

I somehow smoked one of my Gecko g-201s made a call to them and 3 days later there was a free opto in the mail. Up and running!!! Geckos customer service is well worth any price. And they never seem to tire of answering the same inane questions day in and out.Opt for the Gecko!! Randy in Sacramento

Quote Originally Posted by randy
    I somehow smoked one of my Gecko g-201s made a call to them and 3 days later there was a free opto in the mail. Up and running!!! Geckos customer service is well worth any price. And they never seem to tire of answering the same inane questions day in and out.Opt for the Gecko!! Randy in Sacramento
    Snap, to that story but it was Rutex who did the same for me.
    Being outside the square !!!

Page 1 of 2 12