585,973 active members*
4,060 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Kawasaki robot load/ unload Mazak

Hi, I am a newbie at this site and I am software programmer. I have made different application for machines, but now is different - everything is on a whole new level. Main purpose is Kawasaki fs03n Load and Unload HORIZONTAL CENTER NEXUS 5000-II... First idea was to control through PC Mazak and the Robot over RS232, but then we decided to use PLC. I am not sure if I can control Mazak trhough PLC - may be there is need of Ladder Module... How do you think - what is best configuration? I have no experience with Mazak before...
    Thank you!

Mazak is a Mitsubishi control, so start there. Normally you could just use mcodes to tell the interface to start, once done your robot will send the finish signal back and the machine will continue. It all depends on how much you want the robot to control, and how much you want the machine to control.

The big problem is although Mazak is Mitsubishi, it is a Mazak customized system, normally with standard Mitsubishi it is usually no problem to access the PLC and build extra M codes.
    IF there are any unused ones on the Mazak you MAY be able to use that in a limited fashion, especially if you just need one signal to the Robot and as UTT mentioned one input for FIN signal.
    Any customization I have tried on Mazak so far, has resulted in Mazak telling me they can only be done for a fee!!
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I want to achieve simplest and cheapest way of doing it. I can connect Mazak machine and robot through RS232. I know a g code "printf" or something which prints to COM port but our CNC programmers do not know needed commands for return back the control from Robot to Mazak...
    Is there simple scenario for the task -
    1. Mazak machine start automatically without user press Run button (may be some command)- tell the Robot "I am ready"
    2. Robot doing his job and tell Mazak "I am ready" (I am not sure AS programming has needed commands)
    and so on...
    The big question are there such commands which will load some program into Robot and into Mazak?
    I want to be sure that this configuration will gonna work before start, so any help is appreciate.

Ok, thank you for your replies. I will talk with Mitsubishi if there are some unused inputs/output I could use - the simplest way I guess...

I think Mitsubishi will tell you to contact Mazak.
    Normally the minimum way and only possible if complete integration is not possible, is for an M command set an output from Mazak to robot indicating 'Unload' and robot to perform the external function and a return FIN signal from robot to Mazak indicating Mazak to continue, same for the 'Load' procedure.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks, may be next week Mazak will come to tell us options and I will update you. Has anyone program Kawasaki Robot - what do you think - should I use Teech Pendant or AS programming language through PC. As I am software guy prefer AS language... Any other opinions...

Mazak sell a standard robot interface. It is already in you ladder but you probably need an extra i.o board.

If you don't want to pay the only way will be (assuming that you load at pallet changer and that you will remove doors) for the robot to wait for the lamp signal. that is a pallet change completion and when loading is finish give a pulse at the pallet changer button so you have a go machine logic at no cost.

Cost for mazak interface is around 5000 usd