585,902 active members*
4,387 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Home Switch Questions?

I have heard about people using hall effect switches for home switches. I found these electronic surplus will these work? If so how do I wire them? Don't they usually need 5v? Should I mount them in the middle of the axis's so it doesn't interfere with the limit switches?

I also got optical switches here http://www.electronicsurplus.com/Item/28050-1.jpg. (That is the actual web address weird?)
    Which one should i use? Where on the axis should i mount them, middle, or end? How do i wire them? Any help would be appriciated.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

On my router, I used hall switches and they work fine.
    On my mill, I used optical and will not use hall type as I often mill ferromagnetic materials and if you get any of that swarf near the magnet, it will affect the trip point at least and may jam and break something at worst.

I always put a home switch near one end of the travel. When you set up your control software, it will as which direction you need to go to find the switch. If you have the switch in the middle, it may go the wrong way hunting for the switch. It will finally hit a limit and stop.
    Just position it just short of the limit switch and you can tell it the home position is some value other than 0 so you don't loose work space.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

The first link for the proximity does not show operating voltage or polarity of output, PNP/NPN?
    The second optical type has a spec sheet available and requires some circuitry wired to it according to what voltage you are using.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I can use the optical. Not sure about how to wire it though.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Like I mentioned, you need to decide input and output voltage, and whether you decide on total isolation or common supply, there should be many posts here on a typical hook up or just google slot opto.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Instead of using a magnetic hall effect sensor, you could use an inductive proximity sensor. You still have to protect the switches from swarf, but there is no magnet to attract magnetic swarf if that's what you are working on. They will sense a piece of aluminum or steel as the target. I used the cheap ones in the link below. I have them wired for a separated input for each axis but you could wire them all into one. Below is a link to the e-bay ad for the sensors I used and another link to my mill thread (post #27) that shows the circuit I used and the x and y mounting.

5pcs 5mm Approach Sensor 6 36V DC Inductive Proximity Switch SN04 N | eBay

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...ns_soon-3.html