584,879 active members*
5,311 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help from a 770 owner?

First, I wanted to say that I’m new to the forum and so far I’ve been really impressed by all of the positive feedback/responses I’ve gotten from folks, so thanks in advance.

I’m thinking about buying a 770 for a business. I’m evaluating the level of detail it can mill for very small pieces as well as the speed at which it mills them (this would be for a production environment). From everyone I’ve talked to, they say the 770 would be a great machine for me, but I’d still like to do a couple test runs to see what the finish quality and time is like on the machine itself before I commit to buying 1-2 machines.

I was hoping to see if anyone with a 770 would be willing to help me do a couple test runs? There would be 1-7 small (1x1” to 2x2”) 2.5D pieces done in brass and aluminum, so I’d be looking for someone who has a fine/small set of cutters for those materials. I have the files, and I’d be more than happy to send/pay for materials as well as your time. I know this might typically go under the “RFQ” section but I’m looking to have this done specifically on a Tormach 770 to get an idea of milling time and quality.

Anyone up for a small project?

Thanks and appreciate the time.

-J

If all your doing is those two materials then yes, get a 770, but step outside that box and get a 1100, people worry about table size, but I'd trade my 1100 table for 770 spindle speed. If your part is easy I may be able to help test on both a 1100 and 770.

It will help if you say where you are located. Ireland!!!

Do you have the necessary gcode?

Can you post a photo of an example of what you plan to make?

The more info you supply the better will be the response.

Phil

I have a 770, I would be willing to help too. Can you attach a PDF or DXF of 1 or 2 of your parts?
    Gerry
    Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

Hello all,

Thank you for the really positive responses so far. I'll PM you guys directly.

I'm actually located in Boston (surprise), so the pieces should be fairly easy to ship.

I attached four STL files - two models at two different sizes. Approximately. 1.5" square and 1" respectively. I also attached a couple of the DXF files and will be happy to supply the files in whatever format works best to whoever wants to help. What kind of file would work best? I don't have a CAM product yet, so I wouldn't be able to supply the GCode.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Why not call the Boston area Consultant for Tormach...

Consultants | Tormach LLC providers of personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items.

Lakeside Design of Massachusetts

Profile:

Michael Murray of Lakeside Design has been involved with CNC machining since 1979. With broad experience, from development of production firearm tooling to machining of aircraft carrier propellers, Michael is ready for your projects. Resources include a Tormach PCNC 1100 with 4th axis, BobCad CAM, and various graphical and code editing tools. Lakeside Design is prepared to delivery anything from CAD/CAM programming to complete projects with tooling & setup sheets.

Lakeside Design of Massachusetts
    Michael Murray
    Address: Boston, Massachusetts
    Telephone: (781)-264-1005
    Email: [email protected]

+1 on michael, he's a good guy. If you can wait a couple weeks, I should hav an 1100 up and running by then. My shop is in Southie. Machines coming next week but not sure when I can get the electrician in :P