584,879 active members*
5,269 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

kflop step&dir in velocity mode?

On a tight budget, is possible to use kflop + step&dir servos and run kflop in "velocity mode"?

I would like to use AC servo with step&dir drives, sending the enconder signals both to the drive and kflop.
    Kflop servo function capabilities are very interesting to me and I like to use them.
    I think the driver PID would be tuned in some loose P only configuration, allowing kflop close the loop.

I'm thinking in CNCDRIVE AC servo drive BLSV-05020 CNCdrive - motion controls. (I don't have the servos yet. suggestions accepted).

The reason to try to avoid SnapAmp and Kanalog is, as mentioned before, the budget.

But, if this configuration is not possible, is possible to use the driver own PID still sending the encoder signals to kflop to close a position loop at least?

Kflop seems so promising and I would not like to use it only as a trajectory planner or BOB.

Thanks,
    Diego

Sorry, I think I found the answer...
    Closed Loop Stepper

My question now would be: the link refers to steppers. Is there any special consideration if ti changes to tep&dir servos?

Hi Diego,

I'm not sure I fully understand. It probably doesn't make sense to do closed loop around Step/Dir Servo drives as they are already closed loop. Unless you mean with linear glass scales. But there are good reasons to feed the encoder signals back to KFLOP so that it can monitor performance and keep track of actual position during a fault.

But with Step/Dir Servo drives the encoder must remain connected to the drive. You could run the encoder signals back to KFLOP in parallel, but that makes the wiring, grounding, shielding messy.

HTH
    Regards
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Thanks Tom. I see the point. Do you know of boards that allow me to isolate the encoder signals in order to repeat them to kflop?

Hi Diego,

Not really. Encoder signals are fairly high frequency and are too fast for most opto couplers.

I think one User came up with a clever idea to add a differential line driver and send one pair of signals A+ B+ as single ended to the DRO, and the other pair A- B- to KFLOP.

Such as:

US Digital | Products » EA Incremental Encoder Adapter

CNC4PC

Regards
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com