585,962 active members*
3,640 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ATC Air Blast

The ATC on our Tormach has proven to be an aid in reducing production run times and freeing up the operator to do something else while the machine is running. While I can change tools manually quicker that the ATC, I have to be standing there, tool in hand, waiting to make the change.

The only hitch so far is the air blast to clean the tool shank and spindle before and during the change. This feature works very well blasting the tool shank with air. The only problem is that this air is down stream of the regulator/filter/lubricator and it does a VERY GOOD job of lubing the TTS Shanks.

The first thought is to split the air supply line and deliver air to the air blast solenoid valve directly from source. It should then also have a Regulator/Filter upstream of this valve. The supply could also be run through a Regulator/Filter to supply all air and a Lubricator added downstream after the air blast is pulled out.

Anybody thought about this or delt with it so far?

nitewatchman

Did you get the Tormach oiler and read the directions? I don't have any issues of oil, infact I'm going to turn up my oiler as I think I should get some oil film in places. Your idea sounds great, I don't remember how its all rigged up but I assume your leaving the piston on the oiler?

I think that the Power Draw Bar Piston and the Tray Shuttle need to be left on the lubricator. But the Air Blast moved off. Would like to lub the guide rails also but that may be a little much.

In my case they all need to be regulated and filtered, shop grid air comes off of an 80gal, 125psi system.

The lubricator is "dripping" in accordance with the motherships instructions, we will just make a lot of swaps in a day sometimes and it puts a nice oil film on the TTS Shanks. We are also running Ductile Iron castings at times and the graphite dust off of the machining mixes with the oil to make a nice greasy paste.

nitewatchman

I've had about 160 tool changes in an 8hr period, and nothing. I thought I read where when you get the drip you turn it back some, but if I made that up, then that's what I did and that why I have no film, but I run coolant and keep the dust to.. well zero so maybe that's why I don't notice it?

BTW I run Lucas ATF (some Lucas "fixer" product) as my air oil, always have and have never had any failure in anything air related (knock on wood)

My Tormach supplied oiler has never worked. It doesn't drip, and the oil level hasn't changed in over a year. I took it apart last winter, but couldn't find anything wrong. Fixing it has been on my "todo" list ever since, but I've never gotten to it. Nothing seems to be harmed by the lack of oil, but I could see where getting oil on the TTS shanks could be a problem. Maybe I'll just mark it off of the list and not worry about it.

It took quite a bit to get it to drip, then I backed it off and installed it. I tested it on the bench, since that was the only way to get a constant flow to test.