585,930 active members*
3,980 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Yet another newbie CAD question

Yet another newbie CAD question

I'm hesitant to even ask this question as I know its very subjective and there are a lot of threads out here asking "whats the best CAD for me". I've read through many of those and still don't have a good feeling of what CAD program I should go with. And with the daunting number of choices, not sure where to start. So I'd like some help narrowing down the choices and then download the demos and see what I find the most comfortable.

Here's my story and "needs".
    Just getting into CNC machining. Been playing around with the wizards in Mach3 and its working well cutting air and MDF for practice. I have my g-code book and learning that as well. I've also have my CAM software and learning that (SputCAM). I've had some exposure to CAD many years ago and more recently by using SketchUp (the free version). Eventually I'd like to get into low volume production work and making some money at this (at least enough to partially offset the cost of the mill and tools over time). But for now its just a hobby and learning opportunity and something I can teach my kids.

Looking at primarily 2.5d milling for now. Cutouts, pocketing, 2d curves/circles, drilling, tapping (though initially that will be done manually). Maybe design/mill an AR15 lower receiver, just to say I did. Also like to do some lettering/engraving. Likely be working in aluminum, some steel and some wood.

I'd really like to keep the price below $500 if possible, knowing that once I start doing more complex things I'll likely need to take the next step and spend $1-2000 on a "good" CAD program. But that's probably 1-2 years off. So I'm really looking for a beginner CAD program.
    I've looked at:
    Alibre - tried, nice but talked to a couple machinists who don't believe the PE version is worth it ($250). The next version up is $1000.
    BobCAD - the stand alone v25 CAD program without the CAM stuff is around $250, which is within my budget.
    Vectric - Cut2D is priced right at $150, but looks pretty basic. I'd be willing to step up to vCarve Pro for $599, but it seems to have more of a woodworking emphasis, maybe that's an incorrect assumption by me?
    TurboCAD - sounds OK, and starts around $130
    Rhino - heard good things, but again, starts at $1000
    ViaCAD - heard good things and starting $100 for the basic to $250 for the "pro" consumer grade stuff
    SketcUp 8 - played with this. pretty simple which is good, but I've heard its not really a serious CAD program, at leas the free version.
    FreeCAD - tried, ok but needs polish and is only metric (as far as I can tell). Not sure I want to convert my Mach3 setup to metric.

Are there other options I should consider?

Download the trial version of VCarve Pro and play with it. The software does not care what material you are working with. Just set up your cutter speeds and feeds properly.

Mike

For 2D files, Turbocad deluxe 15 for under $20 is hard to beat, Its very easy to learn and you can crank out drawings fast once you learn the basics and get used to the keyboard snap shortcuts. It's my go to for 99% of what I make.

If you or one of your kids has a school ID Rhino 3d is under $400 and I think it's one of the easier 3D cad programs to learn and use.

You don't really need all the bells and whistles of the higher priced cad software unless your an engineer in an environment that requires the extra features (or plan to end up there in the future) better to spend the time and money on decent CAM instead. Cut 2D is about as simple as it gets, but you can make just about anything 2.5d with it, just requires some minor work arounds for the lack of finish paths and tool changes, which isn't really a bad thing as it's good to learn how to combine and modify g code when you need to.

Sent from tapatalk

For example, all of the aluminum parts on this were drawn in turbocad deluxe 15 in 2D, toolpaths done with deskcnc (more basic than cut 2D) and it turned out great,didn't take but a few hours to draw, and minutes to toolpath.

Sent from tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1371845645660.jpg  

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

Cut2D and V Carve Pro are really CAM programs with drawing capabilities. Since you already have a CAM package, you can get far more functionality for less money if you only need CAD only.
    For 2D drawing, try Draftsight. It's free.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I didn't tried sprutcam yet..

but draftsigth sure fulfill all cad related thing.. it doesn't work with beziers but inkscape also free will convert beziers to splines.. like true type fonts converting to vectors..
    draftsigth pretty much like autocad version 12-13.. so you get a really working cadprogram..

after you feel familiar generally with cad still you can go for a more complex program..

bobcad has express, and mecsoft also has some hobbyist offer.. just email them..
    however on beginning while you learn it, free draftsigth will work for everything..

Just an update. Downloaded the vCarve Pro application. I think this is the route I'm going to go. Quite intuitive and simple to use after watching a few of the tutorials. The learning curve for SprutCAM is a bit steep, so I'll put that on the back burner for now, until I need to do more complex paths.

For the more complicated designs, I'll likely use DraftSight or purchase TurboCAD. But for now vCarve seems to do everything I need it to.

Thanks again for the help!