586,011 active members*
4,212 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How to use work coordinates

Hi all. This one is kicking my rear. I have done a lot of research and experiments and still do not get it.

The problem. I have a TL-2 with a 3.0 inch through spindle. I have parts to make from a 3.75 nylon bar. So I cannot feed the bar out for the next part. The parts are 0.125 long washers.

I am using am using 3 tools. ID turn, Od turn, and cutoff. What I want to do is make a part, move the work coordinate, then make the next part.

I know how to touch off each tool but how do I link them together so I can make the next part by changing one number. I do not want to have to touch off each tool for each part.

How do I link the individual tool offsets too something like the G54. Also is it possible to set a counter to make say 10 parts then stop.

I have had the lathe for about 1 year so I am still learning.

Any help might prevent another bald man from running around.

Dennis Sellers
    Model Dimensions Machine LLC

You could probably use multiple work offsets and change Z for each one. G54 Z-1.5, G56 Z-1.75, G57 Z-2.0 etc.

Or you could do a sub-routine in incremental mode and step in each time. "L," loop it as many time as you need. Done that many times.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Here is a program that machines and parts off two parts every bar advance. In it the part program is a group of subroutines which are first called with nothing in the Z work offset then a work offset shift is commanded using G52 and they are called for the second part.

You could do the same thing by using a G10 command to enter the amount of shift you need in the Z work offset(s); a zero for G54 and the shift amount for G55 and get the same result.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Can't you just turn and bore as long as you can and then just cut them off like a salami without looping? Much more simpler and make 10-20 parts a run.