584,829 active members*
5,330 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Ogive help

Ogive help

Hello everyone I am hoping someone can help me, I have converted my mini lathe to cnc with the intention of making bullet swaging dies and everything has gone great but I just cannot figure out how to turn an ogive to make a reamer and laps for the point form die
    I am using mach3 but this is all new to me and although I am ok with threading and cutting tapers cutting an ogive seems to be beyond me
    Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Dave.

I know nothing about a CNC lathe but can you not draw the ogive in AutoCad, or one of its free clones and then export as a DXF file?

Gene

Thanks for the response, I am sure it is just that simple but I really am very new to this and I was hoping someone could have walked me through the process but i will persevere after all with no experience whatsoever Iv'e built my own CNC lathe, how hard can turning an arc be ?

Does your code look anything like this?

I had no codes I have been trying to alter a radius turning wizard in mach3 with no success but looking at your post got me thinking along the right lines and I have now solved my problem,it was a simple fix in the end and I just needed that push in the right direction so thank you very much for your help
    Thanks again
    Dave.