585,589 active members*
3,706 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Standard Nema 34's vs Nema 34's with encoder/controller.

Standard Nema 34's vs Nema 34's with encoder/controller.

I am looking at using some of the 1200oz nema 34 steppers with gecko drives. In my reseach of this I ran across some other possible options. There are Nema 34 type steppers that have encoders and steppers 'ON' the motor. One doesnt even have the use the encoder or serial port attached (from what I understand) as there are standard step/direction inputs available on these. Is this a viable alternative to a standard stepper and geck drive? Am I better off with one of these so that I can use the encoder for better accuracy later? I am familier with the whole step/direction concept, but am unsure of how to impliment anything with an encoder. Is the same step/direction software used when encoders are involved? What do you all think?

Thanks.

You can use the steppers that have encoders without connecting the encoders, since most of the hobby type stepper drivers don't use encoders for feedback....

Encoder on steppers

Sir,

I use encoders on my steppers to feed a counter; this tells me if I have lost any steps as my increment of motion is .001" and the 250 count encoders w/4x logic produce outputs every .001".

As an alternative, one could feed stepper pulses and ebcoder pulses to a summing digital ckt and thus tell if any counts were lost.

Regards,
    Jack C.