584,866 active members*
4,997 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sony Magnescale LH30-2

I have a 9X42 Bridgeport J head and was recently given a LH30-2 readout but the previous owner couldn't find the scales. I called several Magnescale dealers and were told that the head is too old (I have T-shirts older than the head) and that there is nothing that can be done but buy one of their brand new dollar-heavy systems.

So;
    1. I can't find any information about what the scale's output attributes are, why it won't work with any other Sony DRO scales, or which scales work with a LH30-2. Since an electromagnetic wave is an electromagnetic wave, why does the readout care which magnetic scale it came from.

2. Is the pinup the difference between scales? Changing the pinup is a pain, but not impossible.

3. My father and grandfather are master machinists. It wasn't long before they figured out how to make something work when it wouldn't. At minimum they knew how to assemble something which solved a problem. The makers and sellers of DROs appear to be afraid of clever solutions and a little hard work. I just don't know how to find scales that will work. Is this really a lost cause?

It's cheaper to buy a complete new set from dro pros. The newer scales just don't work with that old set, not 100% sure why, but we go through that at work, since almost 100% of ours were Sony. You can get a new, modern up to date set with the bolt pattern routine, shrink pattern calculator etc for less than the price of 2 Sony scales.

Whenever customers call us about Sony DRO's/scales, its tough because there just isn't any support out there for it. Might be best to upgrade so you can get some replacement/support for it. On mills, I like Acu-Rite DRO's.

Re: Sony Magnescale LH30-2

Quote Originally Posted by virtus View Post
    I have a 9X42 Bridgeport J head and was recently given a LH30-2 readout but the previous owner couldn't find the scales. I called several Magnescale dealers and were told that the head is too old (I have T-shirts older than the head) and that there is nothing that can be done but buy one of their brand new dollar-heavy systems.

So;
    1. I can't find any information about what the scale's output attributes are, why it won't work with any other Sony DRO scales, or which scales work with a LH30-2. Since an electromagnetic wave is an electromagnetic wave, why does the readout care which magnetic scale it came from.

2. Is the pinup the difference between scales? Changing the pinup is a pain, but not impossible.

3. My father and grandfather are master machinists. It wasn't long before they figured out how to make something work when it wouldn't. At minimum they knew how to assemble something which solved a problem. The makers and sellers of DROs appear to be afraid of clever solutions and a little hard work. I just don't know how to find scales that will work. Is this really a lost cause?
    Greetings, I see this info is about 7 years old. But I actually need that DRO unit. Any chance you would sell it to me, dust & all!

Sony LH30-2 DRO

Hi,
    I have a two axis LH30. Everything included except the "Y" scale, which is permanently damaged. If you're still interested, [email protected].
    Hope this is what you're looking for.
    Don