584,830 active members*
6,021 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Electricity isolated from power-grid?

Hi

I am thinking about building and experimenting with EDM. I am conserned about power shocks damaging wires in walls, appliances and electricity meter, so i thought i could totaly isolate power for edm:
    using two drilling machines connected by shaft: one runing from power-grid and other being off grid and "PRODUCING" electricity for EDM?
    Is this feasible?
    Will power shocks destroy such dynamo, will brushes burn off?

thanks for any advices

A transformer provides isolation, fuses and breakers protect from over-current.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

A transformer provides isolation only to a limited degree. You can and will still transmit spikes, sags, weird harmonisc etc through most transformers. The device you are refering to is a simple version of an MG set (or motor generator set) This will prvide complete electrical isolation from the line as the only connection betwene your input and output is mechanical. The company I work Manufactures transformers, MG sets and many other power conditioning and conversion equipment on a larger scale. You can read more about the benifets of MG sets at: http://www.3phasepower.org/3phasefre...converters.htm

There's alott of information there. Good luck

Note: The page I linked to refers to an MG set version for changing the frequency however, the gains on a unit which runs on the same power input and out still apply.