584,808 active members*
5,362 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Acromatic 950 "Secondary Storage Failed Diagnostics"

Acromatic 950 "Secondary Storage Failed Diagnostics"

Unit was offline for months.

Any help?

BTW - No alarm code number at all.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Re: Acromatic 950 "Secondary Storage Failed Diagnostics"

This fault is because the 950 hard drive has crashed. I hope you had everything backed up!!!! You can get a new hard drive from Siemens (1-800-879-8079). You must upgrade to a solid state drive and get the MAI from Fives machine.

Mike CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

you can also get used ones from siemens... i just sold them 2 along with 8 or so used complete 950s. guy in KS on here builds replacement lcd drop in monitors for these, and we sold him back a bunch of his too.

You should contact FIVES machine 800-934-0735 and upgrade to a solid state drive, it will last much longer and speed up the load process.

Mike CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

Who did you contact at Siemens to set up the buy back?
    Thanks.

Purchasing mgr we've worked with for 30 years. If you have something they may want, you can ask the tech who answers the 1-800 phone probably. They actually seemed to value the 950 power supply more than anything else!

Contact Siemens 800-879-8079 we still maintain all parts and support for the Acramatic 950. check out our new solid state drive. Remember is the only authorized repair and support center for Acramatic controls

Probably a little late here. If your machine has the old style MFM drive, they have a tendency to "stick" if they have been setting. The Seagate 20mb drives were notorious for this. If this is the case, simply pull the hard drive, remove the ribbon connector from the back, and stick your pocket knife in there and rotate the bottom of the drum that you can see. I've had drives that I've limped along for years using this method.

Seriously, call 1-800-879-8079 and we will take care of the problem with a Flash drive, which will last longer than the MFM drive.
    Also Siemens is the original manufacturer of the 950 Control and all parts.
    We care about all parts and have them available.

Quote Originally Posted by dkjohn View Post
    Seriously, call 1-800-879-8079 and we will take care of the problem with a Flash drive, which will last longer than the MFM drive.
    Also Siemens is the original manufacturer of the 950 Control and all parts.
    We care about all parts and have them available.
    dkjohn, you already told him you could help, why seriously beat it more like this?

To be honest, Siemens is NOT the "original manufacturer of the 950 Control." be honest here please. Siemens BOUGHT the rights to the 950 control from Vickers, who bought the rights from Cincinnati Milacron - the original manufacturer of the 950 Control.

I see you are new here kdjohn, but please try to give helpful replies, not sales pitches. Most folks here are small shops that have to try to get by on low $$. Sure, we could advertise like you are doing, and say we rebuild OUR drives and motors, even though they have Siemens and Vickers names on them sometimes, for $ 3000 each, but that is not useful to most of the posters here. Boeing, GKN, Spirit, the big guys, all KNOW you & I exist and will cover them when they go down. They cannot stand 3 days down time. Some of the folks here have no choice due to cost.

Welcome to cnczone, and please provide helpful advice! Having someone from Siemens online here can be a great asset if handled properly! Thanks for showing up!

PS: I have no relation to cnczone other than being another poster like everyone else.

Cincinnati (now FIVES) also offers flash based hard drives for these machines, developed in house by their field service department. So let me throw out calling 800-934-0735, option 4, option 2 and talking to them about it as well.

I think only the 950 version 1 uses the real old MFM drives, the 950 version 2 uses IDE drives. I have upgraded a 950 V1 hard drive to solid state drive and it worked fine and was a little faster. You can take the original drive apart, as a last resort, spin the disk to get it running but it will not last very long. You should back up all the parameters and settings ASAP and get something new.

Mike http://cncmachineservices.com

No. Version 1, version 2, and version 3 950's all used MFM drives at some point. It appears the original poster has disappeared anyway.