584,837 active members*
5,526 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Setting up Config >Homing/Limits Dialog (Motor Home/Soft Limits)

Setting up Config >Homing/Limits Dialog (Motor Home/Soft Limits)

Config >Homing/Limits Dialog
    (Motor Home/Soft Limits)
    In the Soft Max box entries is this the distance of positive travell for its given axis?
    as well as
    In the Soft Min box entries is this the distance of negative travel for its given axis?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and your help is greatly appreciated.

Craig

CStevens6

Yes that is correct, First when you home your machine, then the soft limits will work,( make sure you turn soft limits on ) you don't want it to hit the Home/limit again so in Soft limits just put -.1 & then the other one you will put close to your max travel, & you will be set to go
    Mactec54

i am also trying to figure this out. my cnc machine can't be homed without it trying to fly off the rails or smashing against its side. its as of the home position was outside the table. How can i redefine this?

because of this, i am unable to set or engage softlimits. Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Profoxcg

First go to this machsupport.com & watch the video on Home Limits & Offsets, this will get you on track, If your Home limit switches are working the machine won't go past them, the Video will help you get your machine working correct

Also you can test your Home/limit switches in Mach3 in the Diagnostics Page ( Alt 7 ) with out moving the machine to see if they are working correct

ArtSoft USA - Video Tutorials
    Mactec54

Do you need to have mechanical switches for this to work?
    I did watch the videos, but what is does not tell you is how to define the machines coordinate system's zero. I think if I can do this, I can then move forward.

Profoxcg

You can do that, but you want it to do it the same every time, so you need at least ( 1 ) switch that would be used as a home switch for each axes, this will then give you the machines coordinates, then you can set/use the soft limits, you need a home to be able to set the soft limits so they will work, the machine does not no were it is at without using a home
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Profoxcg

You can do that, but you want it to do it the same every time, so you need at least ( 1 ) switch that would be used as a home switch for each axes, this will then give you the machines coordinates, then you can set/use the soft limits, you need a home to be able to set the soft limits so they will work, the machine does not no were it is at without using a home
    and from what you are saying (if I understand) is that the CNC needs to have one switch per axis to define the Machines coordinates zero. - so so there is no way to jog to a corner and tell the CNC: this is your home position w/out switches. - also Soft-limits work relative to that mechanical home switch location ?

I was really hoping to be able to job to a corner and say this is "home".

so there is no way to jog to a corner and tell the CNC: this is your home position w/out switches.
    Yes, you can do that. Just jog to the corner, and press the Ref All button.
    Be aware, though, that your softlimits are referenced from this position, so if the "home" position varies, you may hit your softlimits when you don't expect to.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Profoxcg

I said you could do that in post #6, but you have to be able to move each axes to the same place every time, or you will be changing the soft limits all the time, to get them working, That is why a switch is better, then everything is set the same every time, nothing to mess with
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Yes, you can do that. Just jog to the corner, and press the Ref All button.
    Be aware, though, that your softlimits are referenced from this position, so if the "home" position varies, you may hit your softlimits when you don't expect to.
    I think I understand the potential issue. If I then move the CNC axis by hand (when the power if off) then I just undid everything, whereas is I have switches, every time I say "go home" It will just go or move until it actuated the switches. Otherwise I have to Ref-All every time and I can see how this can become a pain.