585,752 active members*
4,236 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Does controller change axis motor speed?

Does controller change axis motor speed?

Do the controllers (Gecko and Rutex) control just the direction of the axis motors, or direction and speed of the axis motors? Even Indy 500 race cars have a gas pedal. It seems that it would be a nessesary feature of the controller to place axis speed under user control to take into account depth of cut as well as direction with or against the grain of the wood to prevent splintering.

None of the above. Your PC is the controller. The control software and code control the speed and direction of the motors.

Your saying the computer is giving speed control information to the controller? And then the controller sets the motor speed?

My problem is that my motors go up to 2000 rpm at 60 volts. So, are you saying that I can get a 60 volt fixed power supply and that the computer/controller will tell the motors how fast to go?

I'm so confused.

Yup, that's how it works. I believe geckos are rated for power supplies up to 80V, I'm not sure about Rutex.

Your computer sends step and direction commands to the driver based on the programmed feed speed and direction, then the driver translates that into a voltage/current that is sent to the DC motor.
    My name is Electric Nachos. Sorry to impose, but I am the ocean.
    http://www.bryanpryor.com

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Most controllers interface to the computer via two basic inputs: step and direction. For each pulse sent to the "step" pin of the controller the stepper motor will rotate one step. By changing the rate at which these pulses are sent to the controller (through the software on your computer) you change the overall rotational speed of the stepper motor.

Thanks guys!
    For some reason I just got it into my head that I needed a variable power supply, and they cost allot more. I can find a fixed 48 or 60 volt power supply at 30+ amps much cheaper than a variable.