585,971 active members*
4,250 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

1997 Haas HL4 shutting down

Hey guys I have a 97 HL4 and what seems like my machine is over heating and shutting down. So now i just leave the door open and blow a big fan at it but it still shuts down sometimes. The machine shuts down mid cut. Do i need a bigger exhaust fan in there or is it something else. Thanks guys.

Does it do it with any kind of parts or is it mostly when you are doing a lot of small parts with frequent spindle start and stop at high rpm?

What alarms does it show?

Have you checked the incoming power and the DC Buss voltage? The Buss voltage may be high so it is dumping more power into the regen resistors.

Have you checked the lowvoltage power supply?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

It does it with frequent spindle start and stop. It reads a long page of errors and no i havent checked the incoming power

Check the DC Buss voltage. It should be between 320 and 340 (I think). It is a while since I looked this up in the manual.

When you are doing a lot of stop start the whole drive and especially the regen circuit can overheat. If the Buss voltage is toward the high end it means more power is dumped during stopping.

Sometimes you simply cannot avoid overheating things with short part times and lots of accelerating and deccelerating with a large spindle. I have even overheated a new SL10 with this tpe of work.

All the voltage looks okay, is there anything else you would reccomend to do? Thanks

The only other thing I can think of is to change the spindle acceleration parameter. Have a look at Parameter 196 C ACCEL LIMIT LOAD. If your machine has a vector drive this Parameter should have a value of 200 which means the spindle can go up to a 200% load during acceleration. You can reduce this to something like 120% and the spindle will draw less current and will not get as hot. But it will also accelerate slower so your cycle time will increase.