584,833 active members*
5,627 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Conversion or Retrofit Of light machines controller to artsoft Mach 3
Page 1 of 2 12

Red face Conversion or Retrofit Of light machines controller to artsoft Mach 3

Hi,I have converted some of this controllers but for some dumb reason I have never share this information and I find out is nothing out there showing how is done and is a lot of this machines from the small wood cutting cnc routers to small cnc mills /lathes and the most heavy prolight machines,here is how is done for you to retrofit or convert your controller to work with mach 3 with no extra stuff ,cards etc,the spindle part I never enable the spindle with the parallel i always use a jumper,I hope some one has a good idea ,I will try to implement some kind of switch to be enable with parallel but if some one has a good idea is welcome for sure.

Please be nice, I know my writing may not be the best but English is my second language.

I attach a pdf i try to reduce the size for easy sharing, Enjoy.

Moderators please if this is not the correct place to put this please move it.

Wow, that's some impressive work you've done Lerma! It was very gracious of you to take the time to document the process so clearly and share it with others. Bravo!

I don't have a machine like that but your article makes me want to go out and find one.

I like your closing comment: "This project look easy now but was a hassle to find all this; I hope this helps a lot of people." An understatement for sure.:cheers:

I almost went that route. I still mean to document the work I did, schematics, etc. on my Lightmachines controller. In the end, I decided not to mod the board, but to use an external BOB as that allowed me more inputs, anyway. I think many people just opt to replace the entire box with Geckos and the like, but that's just because info like what you compiled hasn't been readily available. Thanks!

I actually have one of these boards still.. maybe ill use it for something eventually.. thanks for posting that info.

Kevin.
    Nsr customs.

Great info, thanks for sharing.

I already found how to enable the spindle and the two extra relays for accesories by parallel port on Mach 3 wit some modifications ,please avoid cutting the small line since will be need it ,I will update the PDF with the complete modificatios ,I will update soon ,thank you

IIRC getting the spindle to operate was just a ground connection.

Yes but don't cut the line that enable the drivers ,with some modification you don't need the jumper on the ground to enable the spindle and you don't need to cut the line for the drivers to be enable and is more safe since you will enable the drivers and the relays ,including the spindle all from Mach 3 software ,will try to update today.

I use the spindle control but pulled all the rest out years ago.
    A lazy man does it twice.

I try a few times and always start fine but after some use start with problems sorry, just use any out put from the parallel on passive mode and hook up straight to the small line that goes to the Solid state relay and yes you can still cut the line to enable the drivers is the best and easy way to do it ,I was trying to enable the relays and drivers at the same time by using a opto or a transistor but after a lo of trying I wasn't able and I think this is the easy way to do it

Unhappy Re: Conversion or Retrofit Of light machines controller to artsoft Mach 3

Quote Originally Posted by lerma303 View Post
    Yes but don't cut the line that enable the drivers ,with some modification you don't need the jumper on the ground to enable the spindle and you don't need to cut the line for the drivers to be enable and is more safe since you will enable the drivers and the relays ,including the spindle all from Mach 3 software ,will try to update today.

Do you have any updates to this Lerma? What did you do to achieve spindle control without cutting driver lines? Also, what did you use to connect wires into the optocouplers...appears to be a square connector of some sort. What gauge wire are you using to connect from resistor networks? I'm new to all of this so I don't know, just following along with your help

I got the control board on mine converted today. Hopefully this weekend I can test it out. Has anybody figured out how to do this modification to the tmc 1000 or pro light mill controller yet? Would save some money if one has.

Re: Conversion or Retrofit Of light machines controller to artsoft Mach 3

Quote Originally Posted by mhopkins74 View Post
    I got the control board on mine converted today. Hopefully this weekend I can test it out. Has anybody figured out how to do this modification to the tmc 1000 or pro light mill controller yet? Would save some money if one has.
    Hi,the pro light uses thew same controller ,I already convert one of this machines.

Quote Originally Posted by lerma303 View Post
    Hi,the pro light uses thew same controller ,I already convert one of this machines.
    Have you the mods for x y and z axis for the mill lerma. It would be much appreciated. Or am I looking at it wrong. Your wiring conversion will activate all motors even on mills? I just got these and wanted to start on the lathe first.

So on the prolight 3000 lathe, do you p0lug the db9 into the control box now to gain z axis control? I have 2 plugs in the db9 port of the control box. do I pull those out ? scratching my head a little.

Got x and z figured out through ports and pins in mach3. Spindle is not starting up through mach3 yet only manual. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike H.

Wow, Thank you very much for the instructions. We have 3 machine to convert, a Light Machine CNC Router, a benchtop mill and lathe... I was investigating how to go after this and this seem to be the easiest/cheapest i found so far. We are a small High school robotics club so our budget is very limited... Anyone used this instruction successfully yet?

Nice work, Here it is 2018 and I just got an email from someone asking me if I could help set up a Spectralight with Mach3.

Quote Originally Posted by banjodave View Post
    Nice work, Here it is 2018 and I just got an email from someone asking me if I could help set up a Spectralight with Mach3.
    Great I hope this help a lot of people this are little great machines with lots of useful life and with a converted control you have many good years of use ,the spindle some one else told me is controlled by potentiometer you can rewire to the control on the pin that I mention for the spindle and use a relay for full control ,just be sure you use a desktop if you try a laptop sometimes it fails to move properly the motors ,if any one need some help let me know
    Thank you

I have 2 of these control boxes that I don't plan to use.
    If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to sell them.

Page 1 of 2 12