585,712 active members*
4,362 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > How to eliminate heat marks from blade table on acrylic?

Question How to eliminate heat marks from blade table on acrylic?

I have a 50w redsail x700 laser cutter. My platform looks like a blade grill. Im noticing heat marks on my cuts as im cutting acrylic. Can I eliminate heat marks by using a honeycomb table? How can I eliminate the heat marks? Is there a specific table I can buy to eliminate heat marks? What shape grill and specifically, what material table?

Thanks

The thinner your bed is the less reflection you will have. Honeycomb will still give you some backside burn. You could try making a "bed of nails". We have one with 1/2" offset spacing and it works pretty well for cutting wood with minimal backside burn.

Are you sure they are heat marks? Our honeycomb table will leave marks on acrylic but its just smoke residue. It wipes right off with some isopropyl alcohol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for your reply keebler303. How much is your “bed of nails”? my bed is 20x28”. What is the material of the bed of nails? And what is the hierarchy to eliminate heat marks best? Would it be 1) bed of nails 2)honeycomb 3) blade table (grill)? Or is there another kind of table I don’t know of. I’m interested in the bed of nails. Thanks for your reply.

Thanks for your reply keebler303. How much is your “bed of nails”? my bed is 20x28”. What is the material of the bed of nails? And what is the hierarchy to eliminate heat marks best? Would it be 1) bed of nails 2)honeycomb 3) blade table (grill)? Or is there another kind of table I don’t know of. I’m interested in the bed of nails. Thanks for your reply.

I think it's heat marks as I took off the acrylic film after cutting and its still there

It's just a bed of nails like this: http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/bed-nails-8002505.jpg minus the feet.

It is homemade on a cnc router by drilling holes evenly spaced in plywood but you could cut a similar piece on your laser and then insert the nails.

Backside burn is from the laser beam reflecting off of things. You want to have the minimum amount of reflective things under there and have it so it cannot direct the beam back toward your material. You can also try cardboard honeycomb. It burns rather than reflecting like aluminum honeycomb. I never tried it with plastic but it helps a bit when cutting wood. We don't like to use it because it gets charred and becomes a fire hazard.

The Trotec guys also suggested elevating the material on a couple pieces of scrap to keep it off the bed. It allows smoke and heat to find its way out better.

The bed of nails would probably work as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you!...so I have BACKSIDE BURN not heat marks! I’m going to try cardboard honeycomb, however I’m weary that the smoke from burning the honeycomb will stain the acrylic. Do you have any suggestions where I can best buy honeycomb cardboard for a good price? What’s the best way I can avoid backside burns? I’m thinking of making my own permanent honeycomb table as well, however I need to know what other material than cardboard I can use- is any aluminum the best? Thanks so much! You guys are a wealth of knowledge I hope I can pay if forward with my growing experience in the future…

Our machine came with a stack of cardboard honeycomb so we've never bought any. I would really recommend trying the bed of nails though. The cost is minimal for a box of nails from the hardware store and a piece of plywood. You can make a small 4in x 4in one or something to test it if you want.

Yes, thanks, I'll be making the bed of nails. Any specific materials the the nails must be made of? Did you get smoke residue or stain from burning on honeycomb cardboard?

I just used regular framing nails. I think they have a lacquer coating on them to prevent rusting. Yes, you will get some smoke staining from anything that is burning underneath. A strong exhaust system will help with that a bit.

sweet. thanks. Yeah I'm not sure bout the honeycomb cardboard cause I don't want yellow staining on my acrylic. thanks!