584,817 active members*
4,900 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 19 12311

Emco Turn 220 P

Hi community, I started thread Quantum 210 x 400 to CNC and uploaded couple of videos and that is it, end of story. I bought Emco Turn 220 P and new story begins. I will make lot of videos about that machine. Now I need help how to clean some parts from rust, I tried mechanically to remove rust from spindle and some other parts like bed ways (I guess it is called like that) , tried to clean with WD 40 , diesel fuel , different kind of hand brushes (steel and brass ). I bought rust convertor but it is used for metal panels before painting as I conclude during talk with some people, it is some kind of acid, so I will post some pictures and I am wondering is it good idea to bring rust convertor on parts like spindle (on places where is rust). I got advice to try break fluid on some rust parts and I really tried that and will see results tomorrow. So, is it better to leave it little rusty as it is, or put some rust convertor or is there any other product or procedure which can be applied. Sorry guys if I write funny I am from Croatia. Anyway I will appreciate any advice.

spindle

I will be using electronics and steppers from thread about Quantum lathe.
    :cheers:

Well, some pictures of condition of machine

This is what I saw

when removed this part

So this is view from front side

This is back side of spindle

This is after mechanical cleaning with tiny screwdriver, metal brushes (steel and brass) and with Dremel (I do not have dremel but people call that machine like that, I use it with small metal brushes , do not give impressive results).

I left part like that and put some oil on it and after 7 days I whipped rust (lot of red color on clothe which I used to wipe it) so, last thing that crossed my mind was to try rust convertor for which I can say now it is not suitable for things like you see on this pictures, it is for preparation of metal panel in case there is any rust on them. So I am now little clever and luckily I protected bearing seats with tape and front side of spindle which was in good condition , little fluid succeed to pass through tape but I manged to fix damage with sand paper (1000 granulation and WD 40). I used once rust convertor but that was long time ago so did not know how will look result on shiny thing like spindle. Anyway very important lesson learned , keep it away from machine, it can do nasty things on shiny and nice ground parts.

This is what I got after sanding with sandpaper , WD 40 , dremel and brushes, and dremel and diamond grinding bits, I used my lathe to rotate spindle simultaneously with dremel in action. So last 2 pictures are final result, I can not do any better if I want to preserve barriers on spindle which are relay fascinating, cutting edge remain rust free, all after cutting edge is rusted.

Some other parts that I succeed to submerge in break fluid still look rusty (man who told me for that say keep it 4 to 5 days, I even saw on youtube as a comment suggestion to some guy to try breaking fluid to remove rust) .

Most interesting thing are bearing on spindle, they are not supposed to be moved from spindle and spindle is greased for life time. I learned that after 1 day when I pull spindle apart, I asked few guys on youtube if they have manual but did not got any reply, I found on one forum that one gentleman have manuals and I contacted him and realy like he said in his post he gave it to me in pdf for free, that was really nice thing, because I would probably destroy something eventually, even my intentions are good, just like with cleaning spindle from rust. I realized that front 2 bearing are in pretty good condition, only thing is that I destroyed balls in bearing. That will be for sure my another post.

So

Today I went to buy steel wool (to try how will work against rust on bed ways, till now used only 1000 grid sand paper in combination with wd - 40 , tried with diesel fuel, it is almost the same, just wd - 40 is less stinky and hands do not burns) and I bought one package of little brush wheels (steel version), by the way complete Chinese set with one metal brush of this type cost 10 euro and 5 brushes from proxxon cost 10 euro, so this was my last thing that wanted to try, does it really worth the money, and I can say yes. I was amazed how new brushes removed rust (I guess brush from Chinese set was not steel or maybe it was but something did not work as I expected ). Any way front cover of spindle is cleaned, tomorrow I will try new brushes on back cover and big nut which is in the worse condition. Another important thing is recommended speed for this kind of brushes is 12000 to max 15000 rpm , which I did not know , because there is no instruction in chinese set. So pictures from today.

Oh, I almost forgot, my break fluid did not give any results after 3 days of soaking , it was shell dot 3 and 4 compatible, it dissolved little paint that remained on fornt cover of spindle and that is it, maybe some other kind of break fluid would work better, but in conclusion I wish that I bought those proxxon brushes sooner, in othe hand I would never know things that I know now.

VFD - Delta M series - YouTube

I got this motor with lathe, now I know it is Ok and need to clean it and eventually paint it. If someone have some advice about painting motor I would like to hear it. After experience with bearings from spindle now my moto is: if it runs smooth leave it because probably you will destroy something. Anyway on spindle bearings are replaced by me, I will make some videos about that too, I succeeded to buy same type and I can say that they are expensive but if they will last 20 years like original one I think it will worth it.

Here I bring some new material

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg5E0Pfupwk

Thank you for posting I recently took ownership of a Emco 220. This is my second Emco lathe , the first being an Emco 120p.
    pete

Quote Originally Posted by slowtwitch View Post
    Thank you for posting I recently took ownership of a Emco 220. This is my second Emco lathe , the first being an Emco 120p.
    Hi

Your welcome, I must say thank you for posting your videos on youtube, I probably watched them dozen of times.
    This machines are rare in my country so for me it is miracle that I bought my Emco, one day I am watching your video and another day I have Emco.

I would love to know information about spindle encoder belt and ballscrew belt, I have them, but can not read any numbers of them or marks because they faded.

By the way I promised to Mike new update but as it always goes something wrong unexpectedly, I broke motor fan, so I spent few past days in searching of replacement, I found something that will do, so need to make it fit on 20 mm shaft, hole in fan is 24 mm.

Marko

I'll get you the info on the belts. If i recall, I think I bought the encoder belt for the 120P on ebay
    pete

God work and good luck whit the build . Nice to see a fellow Croatian here. Don't give up this time.

O yeah, forgot a question. I see you bought a VFD from china , I see you payed 366$ and 70$ shipping , and how much did you actually payed after taxes and fees .

Quote Originally Posted by mars051 View Post
    O yeah, forgot a question. I see you bought a VFD from china , I see you payed 366$ and 70$ shipping , and how much did you actually payed after taxes and fees .
    Hi

If you thinking on my small Quantum lathe, I need to say I would convert it to CNC just this Emco is much better for CNCing (it is good to have manually operated machine together with CNC), you can use coolant with no problems on Emco.
    I never give up

VFD is actually from Taiwan, it cost 2.5 times more then something made in China "koliko para toliko muzike" and for now I think it is worth it (it have sensorless vector control, something like that, what is good as I mange to filter from searching on web). You need to be prepare to pay full taxes, it depends how lucky you are, in which position is moon , stars ... , I paid approximately 60$ on numbers that you mentioned.

I read your post about converting your mill to CNC just few second ago , very cool. Hope you will buy Haas VMC

Another thing that I read you mentioned, vibrations from stepper motor, this my motors do not have vibrations because they have encoder, it is stepper with encoder, it have big torque and it is not so pricey if you consider what you get , all the benefits.

Hello Marko, The belt used on the spindle encoder is a 250XL037. Here is one I found on Ebay.....

250XL037 Timing Belt Goodyear Brand New | eBay

The numbers on the stepper motor belts are, Gates "PowerGrip" 80132 X 3/4. I have tried to find one , but, those numbers come up blank here...I believe them to be MXL belts with 132 teeth. The pitch is 2.03mm. You can find them, but, the widest width I found here in the states is 6.4mm. I did find a place in England that will make the belt...

https://www.beltingonline.com/index....0&cPath=40_252

Hope this helps
    pete

Quote Originally Posted by slowtwitch View Post
    Hello Marko, The belt used on the spindle encoder is a 250XL037. Here is one I found on Ebay.....

250XL037 Timing Belt Goodyear Brand New | eBay

The numbers on the stepper motor belts are, Gates "PowerGrip" 80132 X 3/4. I have tried to find one , but, those numbers come up blank here...I believe them to be MXL belts with 132 teeth. The pitch is 2.03mm. You can find them, but, the widest width I found here in the states is 6.4mm. I did find a place in England that will make the belt...

https://www.beltingonline.com/index....0&cPath=40_252

Hope this helps
    Hi, thank you Pete, sure it will help, I do not have a clue about belts, now I can start to search where to buy. Spindle encoder belt is in pretty bad shape while other belts are OK as it seams but I want to buy them in case they break.

Many thanks,

Marko

finally spindle is turning, I will make longer video version of this day , for now short video

runout of air cylinder is about 0.005 mm, it is hard to make it less then that, even for this took me about 40 min

enjoy it

Emco Turn 220 P - day 65 - update version - YouTube

Hello Marko, Great job on the spindle !!! These Emco spindles are something else
    pete

Page 1 of 19 12311