585,760 active members*
3,833 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

MeshCAM beta 8

Just wanted to let everyone know that MeshCAM Beta 8 is available from http://www.robgrz.com . Below are the improvements in this version.

Beta 8
    - Added option to disable finish pass output.
    - Fixed validation error in the Build ZMap dialog. Minor but annoying.
    - Automatically fit geometry to window when opened.
    - Added a warning dialog to the toolpath generation. If you choose a stepover < 1/10 the tool diameter you will be warned of an excessive calculation delay.
    - Fixed bug in the loading of the preamble and epilogue. Text is no longer garbled when retrieved from disk.
    - Added an FAQ section to the end of the manual. Let me know if you have suggestions for additions to it.
    - Fixed a couple of issues with the status bar/progress bar. Should provide more consistent feedback.

Thanks,
    Robert

Excellent news about that finnish pass robgrz, I should be in a position to actually run the code in a couple of weeks when my router is done. I recall seeing a thread about using plain end-mills over on your yahoo pages. Is this going to be possible with this software, or are you working on more important aspects first? Sorry to be a pain, but it is turning out to be nice looking software......except for that!

Hi Robert.

Haven't tried v8 yet, but will when I get a chance. Looks like you're making real good progress. Keep it up, looks like it's gonna turn out real good. :cheers:

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I'll take a look at adding the flat endmill support. Technically it's pretty easy, the problem is trying to keep the number of options limited so that people lacking experience are not intimidated by a page of configuration options. I'll try to come up with a solution for Beta 9 or 10. But if I do it you have to send me a picture of your work with it. Deal?

Thanks for the feedback,
    Robert

Sounds like a good deal to me! You're on, but like I said, a couple of weeks for construction!
    One possible solution for confusion may be to have a seperate "advanced settings" box. You could put a note in the help section that you do not need to change any settings in it. That way you may feel easier about adding complex functionality without putting off what I guess would be your primary market.

I tried it out yesterday. Seems to work very well: See for yourself:

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ncnczzh.jpg  
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Sweet!@

Nice!

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

The problem being (and it's not because meshcam doesn't work right) is that dark colors are cut deeper, so for this subject, the dark hair gets cut deeply. Perhaps a blond would work even better.

Glad to see it works Balsaman. I guess there is a lot of guesswork involved to getting the correct z-depth for the blacks to look "just right".

Thanks for the picture. It's nice to get to see what people are doing with MeshCAM.

Based on discussions on other forums, there is quite a bit of work required to get the perfect bitmap to convert to gcode. I've seen someone mention that side-lit images tend to look beter, but I've been spending more time writing code than building projects so I can't say if he was right.

Robert

From having used the software, I would guess you are correct about the side lighting. It would create the shadows required for the depth. I chose the subject above because it had nice lighting. I have found browsing photographer "artist" websites brings some nice subjects for testing.

Eric

Follow the same link. Beta 9 is now out. Allows for end mills in addition to ball mills
    Paul Riedlinger
    Let the chips fall where they may...I'm not going to clean them up!

Heres a picture of my Great Granddaughter using Meshcam9. The glossy finish hides some detail from the camera.
    I used an endmill routing vertically only cause my X axis moves too slow so I had the Y and Z do all the work.
    Works quite well I'd been having trouble with earlier versions, but its working for me now.............Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1101_005.jpg  

Nice work jimini. It's always great to see what people are doing with the software.

Another interesting approach would be to use an engraving bit with a wider stepover so that lighter( or darker ) parts are cut deeper and therefore wider. If you rub some stain in the grooves it should give a good representation of the image. I've seen this technique on other peoples sites, but I can't find any at the moment.

In the future if you're having any problems with MeshCAM then please let me know and I'd be happy to fix them.

Robert

Robert,
    Are you talking about something like a 60 degree bit with a sharp point? And how much step over would you recommend?
    Marv

60 degrees or something close. I found one bad example at http://www.microproto.com/image1.htm . I would probably start at a .02 setpover in the y direction and smaller (depending on dow big and the level of detail) in the x direction- maybe .005 . That assumes that you're going to take parallel cuts in the x direction. Th max depth should be small, maybe ~.01. Because of this the tolerance on the output should be very small, something like .0001. Also, all roughing passes should be disabled.

A quick disclaimer- these are just a first guess and I can't find the better examples that I saw before so some experimentation might be required.

One other site I found is http://www.boxford.co.uk/boxford/doc...ef_content.htm . I've done this type of thing at work and it's a pretty cool effect.

I'll keep looking for better info.

Robert

robgrz,

Art Fenerty of Mach1/2 was explaining something like the v bit thing and he is supposed to have some photo's on his yahoo link. You will have to go to his site to access it as I can't remember the address. Mach1/2 address is www.artofcnc.ca

turmite

btw does Meshcam output 4 axis or will I need to stich 4 programs together? You can see what I do at www.turnercustoms.com
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Nice work shown on your site turmite. MeshCAM currently doesn't have 4-axis capability. I'm looking for a decent 4-axis simulator so I can add that feature. Know of one?

Robert

I am going to try that v cutter thing. Looks like it has posibilities.

Eric

Page 1 of 3 123