586,024 active members*
4,397 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Small hose clamps - screw to shaft coupling?

Hi everyone,

I am working on a small CNC machine (toy actually). It is using 1/4-20 threaded rod and NEMA17 stepper motors. I have the far end of the lead screw supported with bearings to provide thrust and radial alignment.

For connection to the stepper motor, I am planning on using tubing (.186" ID). In my initial setup and testing, the tubing seems to hold well and drive the lead screws well. However, I know Murphy (of Murphy's Laws) very well, and I suspect as some point these tubing couplers will start to slip on me.

The motor shafts are pretty short and the space there is pretty limitted so I can't use the regular screw-type hose clamps. I am wondering if someone knows of something small and compact that is available that could work for me in this application?

Thanks!

Chris

Chris,
    How about making an extension shaft with a set screw that tightens to a small flat on the short motor shaft, making it long enough to use a hose clamp.

Ken

This could work for you:

http://www.esska.de/esska_eng_s/ear_hose_clamps.html

At work we use the 2 ear clamp for compressed air and it works very well.
    The width for the smaller types is only .20 - .25 inch.

Hi Ken - I don't have any room for it - I didn't plan for that and am paying for it now in a cramped space.

Lucas, that just might do the trick. I will order up some and give it a try.

By chance, has anyone tried using a cable tie for this purpose. I don't think I need a lot of tension, this is more for "a little extra bit of holding power".

How about a solid shaft coupler?

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...PMT4NO=5793174

Steve

just use a piece of wire and twist it tight with some pliers. think bread bag tie.

Matt