585,753 active members*
4,020 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > ATC for RF45 Type machines with TTS Tooling
Page 1 of 5 123

ATC for RF45 Type machines with TTS Tooling

Here is a couple pictures of the ATC I have been working on for my RF45 and MD001 machines. Similar to other designs found here.

Attachment 191334
    Attachment 191336
    Attachment 191338

Nice looking work. Is it driven directly from the stepper or is there a reduction unit of some form in that block? How about a video?
    A lazy man does it twice.

That is a beautiful piece of work you have. Kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Nice looking work. Is it driven directly from the stepper or is there a reduction unit of some form in that block? How about a video?
    +1 on those questions

Fastest1, Yes there is gear reduction head driven by stepper. Video once prototype is functional. Still have to complete slide assembly, sensors, air blast and electronics.

Thanks for the answer. Is there a particular reason that you dont go to a direct drive? I have seen a few variations of tool changers and rarely if ever do I see direct drive. Just curious.

Thanks for the answer. Is there a particular reason that you dont go to a direct drive? I have seen a few variations of tool changers and rarely if ever do I see direct drive. Just curious.
    One reason would be you need more accuracy than speed. You *can't* rotate the carousel too fast, or the tools go flying off it. You do want each tool position to be very close to a full-step on the motor, to ensure accurate positioning.

Vertcnc - Where did you get that nice stamped sheet metal piece you use for the carousel housing? Is it a cake pan or something similar?

Regards,
    Ray L.

Ray,
    Proprietary part. (baking pan) Probably going to change to stainless.

Very Nice!

Richard

Nice!
    I'm going to build one as soon as my RF-45 (lathemaster) is back together. I'm in the process of re-engineering that old piece of iron which I built years ago! Love the cake pan carousel cover! Off to walmart!
    Thanks for posting.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

That is exactly what I planned on using but I wasn't able to find any I liked. I found some deep fryer pans but I would have to do some chopping.
    What size and brand did you get? I use a 14" if I remember correctly.

Richard

Richard,
    I am not sure of the brand. I picked them up at a commercial restaurant supply company near Chicago. Mine is 15". I think its 16 gauge. I have them inquiring on getting me some made of stainless. Just would be a little stiffer, but this probably would be fine for now. Working on the pneumatic door now.

What diameter is the carousel disk ?
    Inner Vision Development Corp. - http://www.ivdc.com
    Website Design & Development. Shopping Carts, SEO and more!

The disk is 10" and the forks are 3" long. I will more then likely post the complete cad files once I complete tweaks here and there and confirm that it functions as required. May even sell complete parts kit. Will see.

Damn that baking pan idea is genious! I swear the sheet metal is what has kept me away from working on an ATC, I'm being generous when I qualify my sheet metal work of piss poor.

Keep us posted on how this goes, and the plans/parts kits. It's looking good so far!

pity the cake pan idea wasn't his, care to give credit where credit is due vert?

To be fair, he never said it was his idea But yeah, I'd like to see more examples of it too!

Tiago, go to a sheet metal shop, they would most likely do anything you need cheaply too.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by TiagoSantos View Post
    To be fair, he never said it was his idea But yeah, I'd like to see more examples of it too!
    well maybe it was but i recall reading of the idea before in another thread, maybe richards cause i looked at walmart for some after reading it.

Tiago, go to a sheet metal shop, they would most likely do anything you need cheaply too.
    heh, you're most likely right. But things have a way of being more complicated than they seem! I live in the suburbs and work downtown, every week day from 9 to 6.30pm at least (usually more). Getting to a sheet metal shop involves skipping work, which means more $$ than it's worth. Although I work full time, I'm technically a freelancer - no work, no money!

Being able to buy a baking pan online or at Canadian Tire and chop it up in my free time simplifies things so much.. To be fair, a lot of the stuff I do with my machine, I could have done faster and cheaper by having it made by real machinists or fabricators. Except I haven't found a local job shop I can just drop by at 7pm! Now there's an idea..

Anyway, back to discussing the ATC project! Looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by bjones View Post
    pity the cake pan idea wasn't his, care to give credit where credit is due vert?
    I said in the first post that the whole ATC was drawn from ideas from others here. I don't know where the baking pan idea originated, but I am sure its from one of the 1000's of posts I have read on one of the forums. I'll be sure to add footnotes to any further posts.

Page 1 of 5 123