585,942 active members*
3,345 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Visual Mill > Right angle head programming

Right angle head programming

Hi, I have rotated and remounted my spindle at a 90 degree angle. I would like to use it to cut curved walled "mortice and tenon" neck joints for musical instruments.
    I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to both design (rhino3d) and create a toolpath (rhinocam pro/visualmill). It would only amount to a simple 2.5d pocketing operation but I need to know how to get the toolpaths oriented perpendicular to the 90 degree head but also coded out in the normal coordinate system. I've tried 5th axis techniques but they do really nothing more than reorient the MCS to the part. I need to keep the MCS the same but orient the toolpaths to coincide with the 90 degree head.
    Any tips?

Would it work to design the part in the normal attitude, with the machined opening facing up in Z, then just before you post it, swap the letter names of your axis output, ie., switch Z to Y, and Y to Z?

You would have to stay away from using any machine cycles that operate with the 'real' Z axis, as you cannot perform drilling cycles in Y unless you write them out longhand.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

In my case I'd be switching x with z. Sounds like it would work, but how do I switch them? I'll have to look a bit into my controller and see if I can remap the axis inputs. I was hoping there was a way to do it in visualmill.

Sorry, can't help you there, but maybe someone who runs VM will happen along and tell you how to swap axis letter names in your post. This would be best to do in a duplicate copy of your post, a special modification for use for only this type of operation.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

If the command line for your controller is read G17 try G18 or G19 to change reference plane don't no if it going to work but try it

You can get a text editor from CNC Consulting Ltd http://www.editcnc.com/CNC%20Softwar...turesPage.html that allows you to switch axes in any combination.

I am a contract programmer.
    I can post g-code that will cut with a rt-angle head no problem.
    If you are intrested contact me

[email protected]