585,888 active members*
3,901 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: slow tm-1

Page 1 of 2 12

slow tm-1

hi all,

as you know tm-1 moves at 5 m/min , the serwos on tm-1 have 1500 RPM nominaly , why can`t the tm-1 move at 7,5 m/min ? ? ?

do anybody know how to speed up this machine ?
    why minimill moves at 15 m/min ?

--
    Piter

It's been slowed down by Haas because it is not fully enclosed. It's a safety issue
    Jim

:-) nice

I found the propper setting for speeding up the motors , currently I have added 50%
    I am very curios with is the max. speed for this motors , anybody know ?

--
    Piter

my goals :
    1) make a chip auger ( maybe easy )
    2) make a tool changer - can abybody send me a lots of photos of tm-1 toolchanger ?

Pit202,
    What settings did you adjust to speed up the machine. Please be specific.
    Thanks.

ok :
    PARAMETERS -> X(Y,Z) Axis Settings B ( or C )

there is a parameter " MAX SPEED " and there is a big number , I just entered a bigger number ( current number * 1.5 )

the machine will not accept higher FEED moves above 5m/min , what we done are higher RAPID moves , when somebody wish to get higher FEED there is a section " SOFTWARE " and then parameter " MAX FEED ( inch/min ) " ? ? currently it is " 200 "

I type all this from memory , more details when needed I can provide tomorow at work.

please be carefull with toolchanger when you have.

--
    Piter

slow TM-1 is getting faster :-) currently i change the settings for spindle - it is now 6k RPM , and the good news is that the rigid tapping is correct ;-)

anybody know for a damaged tm1 after bosted spindle or servos ??

--
    Piter

this may have been discussed before? but which parameters are involved in increasing the spindle speed???

--phil
    never time to do it right, always time to do it again...

there is a parameter " MAX FREQ " and " MAX RPM " on "spindle" and "Sp param A" section. for now I have about 15m/min for X and Y , and Z just 7.5m/min , spindle 6k RPM, for now I didn`t saw aby problems with that.

I just bought a tm1 and I'm waiting for delivery. I'm only interested in changing the spindle rpm to 6000. I'm assuming the max rpm parameter is set to 6000, but what is the max freq parameter set to? Will the correct rpm display on the screen? Only these two parameters need to be changed correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Edster
    I just bought a tm1 and I'm waiting for delivery. I'm only interested in changing the spindle rpm to 6000. I'm assuming the max rpm parameter is set to 6000, but what is the max freq parameter set to? Will the correct rpm display on the screen? Only these two parameters need to be changed correct?
    I posted about this a while back but I cannot remember when; change both parameters in the same ratio.

I suppose if you looked up the parameter numbers and did a search using these you would find the previouse threads discussing this.

All,

I have been trying to find some actual information on these speed hop ups for some time ever since I heard it could be done. here is what I have found out so far.
    Looked up information on the x and y axis servo motors on the Yaskawa Electric website and found the maximum operating parameters for the motors. The Motors on the TM-1 are rated at 1500 RPM with a Maximum RPM of 3000. Provided the servo controler that haas uses is compatible to this speed the maximum IPM for rapids should be around 400. The website has pdf files avaliable with all of the specs for the motors and their load ratings.

As far as the spindle goes, I was able to squeeze out some info from a Haas tech. We checked part numbers against actual ratings and the motor on the tm-1 is rated for 6000 rpm but the spindle is rated to 5000. The only problem he said that i may encounter is that the motor controler may die prematurely due to overdriving the componets with a higher frequency. He said that the board may only last 12 to 18 months at that speed but it cost around $900 USD so if the productivity increase is enough to justify replacing the board the go and try it. He also said to break in the spindle at that speed first for an hour or two.

Hope this helps clear some stuff up

Quote Originally Posted by AMCTony
    The Motors on the TM-1 are rated at 1500 RPM with a Maximum RPM of 3000. Provided the servo controler that haas uses is compatible to this speed the maximum IPM for rapids should be around 400....
    That figure matches the maximum rapids that are on the new fully enclosed TM that Haas has just released. It is on the Haas website in the Westec Video (info courtesy JPMach if my memory serves correctly).

Ya acording to the litterature, the new TM-1P which is just an enclosed TM-1 has a 6000rpm spindle and 400 ipm rapids and feedrates. Being that this is as far as they uped the speeds in a enclosed version I would guess that is as far as a normal mill could be tweaked given the same components.
    Should try and talk to Haas to see what they did about the board frying from high freq, I would hate to buy a new mill and have a $900 board go out every year so they must have addressed the problem if there was one.

JP

Quote Originally Posted by JPMach
    about the board frying from high freq, I would hate to buy a new mill and have a $900 board go out every year so they must have addressed the problem if there was one. JP
    The board looks the same as the one on the MiniMill which runs at 6000. The thing to do is check the parameters for maximum rpm and maximum frequency on a TM and a MiniMill. It could be that for 6000 on the TM the frequency is the same as the MiniMill in which case there should be no problem.

the haas rep came in and changed our tm-1 to 6000 rpm spindle speed. he said that it had the same spindle as the minimill and it was rated for this speed. the person that was programing the mill before me put in the warm up program and it runs the machine at 6000 rpm for about 5 min. no load on it but should i limit this to say 4000 rpm(the original speed) for safty? the only thing i've run at 4000rpm. is a thread mill, so the extra rpm doesn't really intrest me.

Well Phil did you take notes on the mod?

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN
    Well Phil did you take notes on the mod?
    These are the parameters associated with the maximum spindle speed taken from the Haas website:

183 C MAX FREQ The frequency at which the motor will be run when maximum spindle RPM is commanded. Units:
    0.01 Hz (two implied decimal places).

80 MAX SPIN DELAY TIME The maximum delay time control will wait for spindle to get to commanded speed or to get
    to zero speed. Units are milliseconds.

131 MAX SPINDLE RPM This is the maximum RPM available to the spindle. When this speed is programmed, the D to A output will be +10V and the spindle drive must be calibrated to provide this.

It is possible to change 183 and 131 by the same ratio to get a higher top speed.

Thanks for the input Geof. But that info still leaves a bit of experimentation. I have been hoping for some specific settings that have been proven to work.

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN
    Thanks for the input Geof. But that info still leaves a bit of experimentation. I have been hoping for some specific settings that have been proven to work.

Have a look at Post #6 in this thread.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12255

Also my post further down; I experimented with a MiniMill.

i'll check the max rpm and freq. settings and get back to you. those are the only settings that were changed.

Page 1 of 2 12