585,977 active members*
4,565 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Runaway Servo Motor - Bad Encoder?

Runaway Servo Motor - Bad Encoder?

Hi All,

I am trying to setup a 3 axis gantry waterjet cutter using Kflop/Kanalog and Mach 3. X and Y axis are fine and working well. The Z axis when I went to start tuning it (it has not been run for years) ran away breaking the coupling as soon as I powered it up. When ever I apply power to the drive with the motor and resolver connected it just spins at what seems to be full speed this is with no drive signal from Kanalog (even disconnected the wire to make sure). I tried the Y axis drive on the Z axis Motor and same issue so I think the drive is fine. If I remove the resolver input it stops so this is the only thing I can think of that could be the issue. How can I test this?

Drives are Allen Bradly 1389 AC Drives
    Motors are Allen Bradly 1326AB AC servomotors with Brushless resolvers.

Then encoder is separate and is working fine.

Cheers

Chris

The encoder phasing could be wrong IOW the ±10vdc command if analogue, is commanding wrong direction WRT the encoder.
    swap the A and /A to the controller should take care of it or confirm it.
    My first guess anyway.
    Oops I see you tried disconnecting, so I would then opt for the resolver phasing? swap the sin/cos pair and try it?
    Were these newly connected drives? Never ran before on this system?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hi Al,

The system ran many years ago with an old Allen Bradly 8400 controller then it was pulled apart and moved locations and never powered up again. We are just now trying to get everything going with a new modern control system.

The cables are Allen Bradley cables and the color code of the wires at the connector matches the other 2 axis but I can try switching them.

Cheers

Chris

If the combined drive and motor has ran before then I would assume the phasing is correct?
    Did you try the Z axis motor on one other drive?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hi Al,

It ran before been disconnected has not run since reassembly.

Yeah I tried the Z axis motor on another Drive tho I used the same cable. I may disconnect the Z axis motor and move it so I can connect the Y axis cables and drive to it to make sure there is no issue with the cables

Cheers

Chris

I dont want to but in on Al - just thought i would add a couple ideas for you to try if u run out. be sure u keep the control command wires off the drive until u know it is phased right. another way to find proper phase is just try all 6 motor combinations. assuming you are sure the resolver is actually hooked up right (ignoring phase), then you can try all 6 motor lead combinations: only 1 of the 6 will work. this is why just swapping resolver direction won't fix it - 3 motor connections will go CW, the other 3 CCW; only 1 of the right direction 3 will be phased to the windings right altho 3 go the right direction.