585,977 active members*
4,113 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Materials Question

Hi out there in CNCzone land.
    Have my CNC router working well these days so big shout out to Ger21 for all his information and guidance. Thanks

So here is my question. Now that I have my CNC router working well its time to start considering a project. The main reason I built it was to then build other things requiring detail and control these fat fingers can't produce.

So I am thinking of a quadcopter. So my question is.
    Does anyone know of a machinable plastic, with properties similar to wood, in that it machines easy.
    That's cheap and has a high strength, and for added benefit is light to boot.
    A lot of these guys are using Carbon fiber, but its expensive, toxic and you can do anything more then cut holes it in.
    I want something like a 3/4 plywood that I can machine highs and lows, but in a plastic thats tough and light.
    Not UHMW and I already broke one finger cutting that stuff and having a kick back (table saw). I love it but wow its dangerous.

Delrin or garolite. Delrin is plastic, garolite is fiberglass sheet (highly compressed, think High quality circuit boards ). Both are awesome to machine with sharp carbide tools. Diamond cut router burrs for garolite, regular wood/plastic/metal end mills for delrin.

Best of both worlds might be birch plywood laminated with garolite (G-10) sheet. Light stiff and strong. Delrin is strong to a point, stiffer than uhmw, but will break with enough impact.

Garolite glues very nicely, delrin will not stick to any glue, mechanical fasteners only, holds screws great.

There's a reason why most use carbon sheet, for the same strength it's the lightest option, and it's not toxic if your careful with it.

Sent from tapatalk

You could also try hdpe. It is similar to uhmw(there both polyethylene). The advantage is it doesn't have the same tendency to kickback or grab as uhmw. It is relatively inexpensive and has very good impact strength. It is the same material used to make restaurant cutting boards.

Ben