584,826 active members*
5,118 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > EMCO CNC Machines > EMCO Lathe > Emco compact 5 pc lathe - linuxcnc setup without circuit board hack.
Page 3 of 4 1234

Re: Emco compact 5 pc lathe - linuxcnc setup without circuit board hack.

gave it a few runs last night and it works flawlessly . It looks like the threading is spot on . Just to play it safe I ran thru some chunks of delrin first , then I put on a piece of aluminum to see how the lathe would deal with that . I was quick to stall the spindle since I forgot to drop the feedrate for the ally from .015" . At peak rpm and a .05 depth of cut , a .002 feed seemed to load the spindle but it cut well . The treading was done with a turning tool because I'm still waiting for my insert cutters to arrive , so the thread is what it is . It did prove that the feedback between the lathe and the software is spot on .
    If I had to do this all over again then I wouldn't do anything different . A retrofit may be able to accept newer faster motors and all but it's fairly unnecessary due to the small size of these lathes .
    The coding wasn't refined and was down and dirty but once I finally get my tooling then I'll be able to play
    Can't thank you enough for this Sam !!

Attachment 305164
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Video!!

sam

This is the last thing I made with the emco..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TOP1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	305580

sam

Thats a cool little part . I'm still getting sorted on my tooling (waiting for arrival ) , but I'll post a vid once everything is on track . I noticed that I can set my default start up codes within the ini file which is kinda sweet . I'm definitely liking the software , it'll take some time to change some coding habits that I have formed with the haas but aside from that it's straight forward .
    The lathe itself is actually impressive for being the little runt that it is . Theres not much to it , but , within reason it seems pretty solid .
    I had stuff scattered everywhere after cutting delrin and that aluminum piece , so I've boxed it in to control all of the chip
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

I have a 6P With libuxcnc. Not straightforward though. Ripped out the old steppers and spindle motor, so, some hardware are different. I can mail my config if you need it. Just PM me.
    Kriek

hey Sam
    With a fair bit of talk over lathes I figured I'd dust mine off and finish getting it up to speed . I bought a splitter for the parallel port and connected a breakout board for my switches . I've set up the ini and hal file to what I believe the should be . I'm only setting it for pinout 13 at this point till I can expand on it . I was hoping that you may have a moment to look at these files because I've gone over them numerous times but I'm not sure why keep getting an error on start up I think that I've set them up properly but obviously I haven't

Could you zip up the whole directory? The ini file in the RAR seems to be borked. - could you also do a zip instead?

sam

Will do later this evening .

Bummer the ini saved corrupted . I deleted what was in the controller and put it back to what it was originally so all is lost except the hal file which is in the rar . I'll have to start over and hopefully I'll figure out what I've done wrong . I created a new profile with the wizard which uses home switches . I hoped that the mods would be fairly clear in comparing the hal and ini files , but it was a no go .
    Do I just need to modify the ini and hal files or does it go deeper than that ??

picked up emco pc5 ,reading your post,about hal & ini file ,any info how to use and cable pin out would be great help
    thanks
    greg

Hi, I also got a emco 5 compact CNC lathe and would like to upgrade the CNC to Linuxcnc. Have anyone made an step by step manual to upgrade? for ex how to connect a pc to the cnc, paralellport and so on. would be great as it doesnt seem easy to follow random threads at the forum. I Think more than me would be for ever grateful.

Is it cnc or pc? The pc version can be plugged into the printer port of the computer, use the linuxcnc config. If it is the cnc version - it requires electronics.

Hi, thanks, its a cnc model. having the mini tape station Been Reading posts and consider that maybe its best to replace all the electronics? cnc controller card, 3 stepper drivers and pc. Is it possible to use the original stepper motors? are they closed loop? steps/360 degrees? and how long is the movement for that? anyone who has examples of controller cards and stepper drivers. Thanks for a nice forum.

HI,

I have an Emco Compact 5 PC that I would like to get working with LINUXCNC.

A question, does the PC need to have a Parallel Printer port or has anyone got it working with one of those USB to Parallel adaptors?

Hey Ridley. LinuxCNC does not play nice with USB to serial. Your USB is not a realtime device and LinuxCNC runs realtime.

Either use a parallel port or, if you want better performance than that, get a FPGA card like Mesa or Pico.

Sent from my BV6800Pro using Tapatalk

Thanks for getting back to me.

I suspect it will be best at least initially to get a PPT card for a PC and use that initially. or do some of those cards not work well either?

Quote Originally Posted by RidleyRumpus View Post
    Thanks for getting back to me.

I suspect it will be best at least initially to get a PPT card for a PC and use that initially. or do some of those cards not work well either?
    Had plenty of PCI parallel cards with MosChip made by NetMos, all worked.
    There are some that will not work with Linuxcnc as they are software driven.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I have seen a little Emco and was thinking it might be a fun project.
    Quote Originally Posted by samco View Post
    Is it cnc or pc? The pc version can be plugged into the printer port of the computer, use the linuxcnc config. If it is the cnc version - it requires electronics.
    But Bugger, the one I saw had the tape interface so it sounds like it will be Mesa all the way.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

OK I have dug out the Emco CNC from the garage where it has sat forlorn for too long and I now have a few questions.

It would appear that I started to convert the Lathe for use with MACH3 and have done the conversion on the 74LS374 chip, ie removed it and jumpered it as per the article attached. I would also appear that I left a few cables unattached.....

My questions are

1) Do I need to undo the jumpers and reinstall a new 74LS374 or does having it like this just mean I no longer need the dongle?

2) I can see where my ribbon cable goes but what goes into the second smaller blue connector on the board? I cannot see a ribbon cable it would connect to nor can I see where a ribbon cable would plug into elsewhere in the lathe.

3) I seem to have a spare white connector, but I cannot see where this would connect to, there does not seem to be any where to plug it into.

4 What is the "Chip Guard" plug and should there be any wires attached to that connector.

Are these "spare" sockets and connectors a throw back from it being a cut down CNC Lathe rather than the PC CNC Lathe and these connections are not needed on this version?

Please see attached pics.

Any advice re the 74ls374?

Do I need to reinstall one or will it work fine numbered.?

Page 3 of 4 1234