584,871 active members*
5,300 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Mori Seiki Boot Mode

I am working a newer Mori Seiki machine with a Fanuc 31iA controller. I need to access the Boot Mode. This machine has the Mori front end (MAPPS) so the standard method of getting into the Boot Mode won't work. I am hoping someone will know how to do it on the Mori.
    Thanks

Boot mode?

he probably means holding the 2 right-most softkeys that brings up the IPL. Maybe?

Yes, Fordav11, Normally you press and hold the far right soft keys while powering up gets you to the Fanuc Boot mode. I need to know how to do this on a Mori which has the 31iA controller. Mori uses a MS Windows like PC and so the standard methods won't work.

There is a rotary switch on the fanuc main board you need to turn, but I don't remember what number to turn it to. To use a card for SRAM back up, you also need to put the card in the fanuc main board, not the front slot.

this is very interesting because on my machine holding those 2 keys did work at one stage and I was able to backup SRAM and other things. But now holding those 2 keys only freezes the control and I have to power off/on to get it to boot. it's on a 21i-TA with MAPPS2/GOPIII and the operating system is OS/2.
    very strange.

Quote Originally Posted by fordav11 View Post
    this is very interesting because on my machine holding those 2 keys did work at one stage and I was able to backup SRAM and other things. But now holding those 2 keys only freezes the control and I have to power off/on to get it to boot. it's on a 21i-TA with MAPPS2/GOPIII and the operating system is OS/2.
    very strange.
    On the old ones like that, holding the keys did work. Newer mapps won't. However even on some of those older ones, you had to turn the rotary switch to position 1 for "slow boot" mode. Gave the mapps a chance to catch up to the fanuc, so they keys were initialized before the fanuc booted past the point of not being able to enter IPL mode.

hi
    In my opinion you should check 310i manual for SRAM backup. These system work in the same manner.

You obviously have no clue.....

Actually he's exactly right...

The 310i or similar models are a windows based frontend on a standalone fanuc, exactly like the mapps iv windows xpe setup, both utilitizing "cnc screen control function..." option via hssb.

What you want to do is exit the mapps software, and use ncboot32.exe to access the IPL menu (and probably have to use the card slot in the cabinet, not the lcd-mounted one)

http://read.pudn.com/downloads118/so...b/Ncboot32.doc

Also of interest: find and run "cncscrn.exe" to get to what i call "pure fanuc mode", and a pc keyboard can be used in the usb port (if you have one)

PM if you need more info

gwarble

Quote Originally Posted by gwarble View Post
    The 310i or similar models are a windows based frontend on a standalone fanuc, exactly like the mapps iv windows xpe setup, both utilitizing "cnc screen control function..." option via hssb.

What you want to do is exit the mapps software, and use ncboot32.exe to access the IPL menu (and probably have to use the card slot in the cabinet, not the lcd-mounted one)

http://read.pudn.com/downloads118/so...b/Ncboot32.doc

Also of interest: find and run "cncscrn.exe" to get to what i call "pure fanuc mode", and a pc keyboard can be used in the usb port (if you have one)

PM if you need more info

gwarble
    gwarble,

I am really excited to see that there are ppl still discussing this topic, a coworker and I are most interested in learning about using what you and others refer to as "pure Fanuc mode". Firstly, we have a 2004 Mori-Seiki HMC running MAPPS II, coincidentally, we just had a very knowledgable contractor in two days ago for a different issue that showed us how to exit the MAPPS via the "nine nines"; I assume this is the process you alluded to when you mention exiting MAPPS.

Secondly, once out of MAPPS, if memory serves correctly as I have only seen this done two or three times by aforementioned contractor, we see a Windows desktop. Incidentally, I did see at one point during bootup the Windows XP Embedded splash screen so that is for sure the OS (I don't quite understand what is meant by 'embedded' in this case). The only icon on the XP desktop is for MAPPS II; and there can be seen in the taskbar, a minimized task, something like CNC Desktop? or the like is running, clicking on that active, but minimized, program in the taskbar maximizes it and what looks to be a normal Fanuc interface. One side note, when in this mode, what the contractor (heretofore "Paul") referred to as "Test Mode" and supposedly 'discouraged by Mori' for general use, for the first time we are able to not only see the first page of a listing of CNC programs that are in RAM, but we can finally use the Page-Up and Page-Down keys to see not just the first page only but the entire listing. When we flip into the Fanuc side from the MAPPS via their menu keys, all we can see is the very first page, surprisingly.

Exciting as that was to see, however, using the joystick and navigating to the Start button and left-clicking only shows two choices, Log Off and (I believe it was...) Administrator maybe? I can clarify this when I get to work on Monday, but, for sure, we don't see the normal listing of installed programs or at least it looks very different from what I am used to seeing in XP. Paul said that he expected to see on the desktop an icon for the CNC Desktop (again, I don't remember exactly the name for the Fanuc mode) but there was not one, and clicking on the Start button did not give us any access to the installed programs to add one to the XP desktop. But I wonder if the "cncscrn.exe" that you mention is exactly what we see running...

You mentioned using a PC Keyboard, we tried that once but did not have any luck, but, we also did not know then what we know now, so most certainly I will try that again now that I know how to get to the XP desktop.

When we were on the Fanuc side via the MAPPS menu keys (the normal Mori way), though we could only see one page of program listings, we were and are able to output any program via the RS232 port that is inside the control cabinet and is wired to the Fanuc. However, try as we might, we could not find a way to use the ftp over the Ethernet port on the Fanuc. I can assign it an IP and subnet, and I can ping it, but I could not get it to connect via ftp. It's been many weeks since we worked with this and I just don't remember exactly what we ran into, but I seem to recall that we could not find the ftp options maybe, I wish I could remember, certainly I will check this out on the "pure Fanuc" mode now. I seem to remember that we got an error when we tried to use 9 for ftp; I did just now see that there is a parameter, at least for the 31i, to turn ftp on or off for Ethernet so I need to check that. Using ftp is one of our primary goals and we're hoping that this "pure Fanuc" mode will enable that.

I apologize for barraging you with such a large post, it's just so exciting to have contact with someone who knows about this topic. So, after all that, my first question is, how do you exit the MAPPS? do you use 'nine nines' as we were shown or is there another way?

Second, what should we be seeing once we're at the XP desktop? Should we be able to navigate to a list of installed programs? The cursor seems hidden behind the Fanuc screen, you only see it appear when it falls within the confines of the taskbar, is this normal?

Thanks in advance,

-Gary
    -making chips since '78
    -C, Pascal, Assembler, G-Code, Post Processor

And how do you exit the mapps software? I know how, but is a very back door approach that i had to show the distributer. If you turn the rotary to F on the 31, it boots right to IPL. With mapps4 you can then save to USB or card.

Sent from my G-Tab Quantum using Tapatalk

Ah, I failed to mention that it is a 15i or 18i, can't remember offhand, but all of these era Moris were the same I am told. When we try to use the rotary switch settings other than what was set from the factory it won't boot. I will look to see what it is set on currently on Monday.

We've been told that we can upgrade to MAPPS IV but it's like $17,000. I do think that is a completely new pendant with the new PC though.

-Gary
    -making chips since '78
    -C, Pascal, Assembler, G-Code, Post Processor

All of the mapps requires a back door to exit, and all use the rotary switch. Early mapps I'm pretty sure was set to 1 for slow boot mode. You still had to hold right keys to get to IPL on those. Later ones will boot directly with the switch to IPL. On early mapps, they are a tiny OS2, so they don't even have the .exe Fanuc software. Mapps 3 is embedded xp, and 4 is XP, but stripped way down. Secret...shhh...setting page-999999999-enter. On mapps 1 and 2 type setup enter. Screen should look familiar then.

I don't know how consistant they were with mapps version/os/control, all i know are my two (i'll confirm and add to this, but off the top of my head):

NH5000 HMC with MSG-501 control running MappsIII on OS/2 ver 3 over Fanuc 18i-MB

NH4000 HMC with MS?-701? control running MappsIV on Windows XP Embedded over Fanuc 31i-M (a?)

So mapps2 on XPe sounds weird but totally possible...

Nine nines is the trick on both of the above. I've messed with the os/2 one a bunch and boot to "sample.exe" (what i gather is an os/2 equivalent of cncscrn.exe, as it lets me view/use the machine as if it was a regular fanuc control, the only noticable difference is the different i/o channel for the lcd-mounted pcmcia slot) so never need to bother exiting mapps

The XPe setup on mine has the fanuc icon on the desktop, but the program is probably on the hdd so you might have to search for it. To make changes to the XPe setup (like add that desktop shortcut) you have to understand how EWF is protecting the file system...

Lastly, to use regular fanuc ethernet ftp on my 18i nh5000, i might have had to add the ethernet option, and use the right ethernet port (not mapps one)

is MGS-501 MAPPS III? I have MSG-500 with OS/2 ver 3 as well (Tiny OS/2) but mine is 21i and MAPPS II manufactured about September 2000. Fanuc mode is entered the same way, setting/9's then sample.exe. Can go back to MAPPS mode with cam2tf.exe

As far as I know MAPPS II doesn't have a mouse pointer and MAPPS III does. I would think that's the only way to identify a MAPPS II / III panel that is powered off.

Sample, forgot... Anyways, mapps 1 is the one everyone complained about, no real added value, although caps came about. Mapps 2 added the USB, mapps 3 had the nipple, and 4 looks totally different. Nine nines still works on 4. I was able to go in and add the Fanuc manuals to the manual PDF section on 4. All the manuals are included in PDF now. What REALLY sucks now, is Mori is giving the ladder diagram only in the machine control now, no hard copy and its the only manual that won't output to USB like the other manuals. You have to go in through the back door to get it. I recommend if you order a new machine, make them give you a hard copy. I did.

That's lame about the ladder...

I'll have to confirm mine tomorrow i guess but i thought it was mappsIii. Its definitely tiny os/2 on an 18i, from i want to say 2002

We've found no real benefit to cap/mapps and run almost exclusively in fanuc mode on both... Besides a couple "nice" features of the UI (like showing the replaced offset old data), the differences in operator use make it a waste of time to train anyone on when we have ten more machines that are just fanuc controls... And with CAM we never use converstational...

On mapps 3 and 4, there are real advantages like being able to load very large programs in mapps and run right from there. We have run 50mb programs in the past. New mapps 4 has 6 GB program storage. Once mapps is turned off, no more access to it. Mapps also makes networking a little easier.

I guess i had confused GOP3 with MAPPS3, you're right the nh5000 must be mapps2 over the 18i

I couldn't find any version info in the ui to verify that its 2 and not 1, know where to look?

Whats GOP3 mean?

I'll have to investigate what you mean on the nh4000 which is MSX-701iii over 31i for large programs (now i guess its mapps3), search/editable as in in real memory? Or just with typical DNC limitations. Both of mine are able to drip from internal memory, like a make shift data server, outside of mapps.

I made some REXX scripts on the os/2 one to pull files from the ftp into the internal memory, i never found a tsr ftp server for os/2 to allow the other direction that data servers offer, pushing to the machine (as the ftp server))

Fordav11: do you have any issues with the POS key in sample.exe? I had to remap it to the custom key

Then i get some japanese error message to exit sample, input to clear, then 0 on the yellow screen to exit, that how yours is?

Page 1 of 2 12