585,933 active members*
3,779 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > A MECHANICAL ENGINEERING STUDENT NEW TO CNC

A MECHANICAL ENGINEERING STUDENT NEW TO CNC

Good day people, I'm a mechanical engineering student with interest in Computer Aided Design and Computer Aided Manufacture, as a result of my interest, I have been able to learn how to use Autocad, Autodesk Inventor, SolidWorks, 3ds Max and also hoping to learn more CAD Packages. But I've been lacking in the aspect of CNC Machining & CAM. I would be glad if there's anyone who can bring me up on CNC Machining from the scratch; like how to write programs for CNC and how to operate the CNC. Thanks

Welcome! I was in your shoes once. Had a ME degree and started learning CNC.

I would strongly suggest that before you learn to program, you spend some hands-on time with an engine lathe and a Bridgeport. Just grab some scrap stock and learn the general principles of metal-cutting. Basic programming is becoming easier and easier these days with all the CAD/CAM systems available, but remember that whatever system you use will only be as good as the guy entering the information.

As for learning G-Code, I recommend Peter Smid's books. They are available all over the Internet.

Operating a CNC will very depending on control and machine manufacturer. If you have access to a shop, watch an operator run through some work. Maybe observe a few setups.

Thanks Ryan

Thanks a Lot, Ryan i'm currently doing an internship in a machine tools company and i've been exposed to basic metal cutting operations like turning, threading, drilling, milling and even bench fitting...but the machines i used were all conventional machine...We have cncs in the company but it's only one person that can write programs for them in the whole company and He's the production manager...For me to learn this would mean He sparing his time for me and that's difficult that's why i posted on here. Anyway you can help i'll be glad

My idea you read a book of Peter Smid's as Ryan had told.

How to wrote the CNC program, you need to understand step of cutting operation. If you can use the convention machine, please think about the step the follow each other until the part done.

CNC machine operation may another kind that you need to learn. Normally the step to operate the machine is
    1. Switch on the machine.
    2. Move all machine axis a bit far from machine zero point ( around middle of axis traveling) by use MPG or Jog or Handle (take a look at machine panel for mode selection)
    3. Perform Machine Zero (some machine call Zero Return or Home) many machine use Home (Zero) push button and press direction key of axis, some machine will do automatic after press M/c Zero button.
    4. Call or Load in the NC Program in Edit Mode ensure the write protect is off.
    5. set offset of cutting tool in each tool pot ( will be more easy if the machine has Quick setting)
    6. Test the NC program by Dry run in Memory or Automatic mode.
    7. Run program

Even it just 7 step but you need to understand in each machine control which may be a few vary in each control maker(brand).
    NC program is standard but can wrote in 2 style by simple G-code step by step (this is like use CAM to generate G-code) or use Canned Cycle G-Code function
    Some control has conversation programming that help user to create NC program or use their own special program (Hidenhien, Mazak)

Search for Mc Control manual and learn it before go forward.
    1. is Operation Manual
    2. is Programming Manual

and start to learn from it.

Good Luck.