585,733 active members*
4,889 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 12 of 15 21011121314

Re: TB6600 drive from EBAY

Not TB6600

https://toshiba.semicon-storage.com/...e=TB67S109AFTG

Need to order one to see how well it performs.

Oh my, well the ebay listing stated TB6600. Antone know what I ended up with?

jfong posted a link to the datasheet. Looks like a 4A 50V with 1/32 microstepping driver. Fact that it is in a QFN package tells me it is of newer tech than the old TB6600. My guess is a newer more efficient chip. Functionally I don't expect you would notice any difference between it and the TB6600.

But that said never used one so results may vary.

Upgraded TB6600 ????
    The TB6600 is rated at 5A max, this one at 4A = 20% downgrade in my book.

It has a completely different chip, the housing of this one is not designed for heat dissipation.

This drive is not related to a TB6600 at all, only the manufacturer of the chip is the same.

One would be sued in the US or Europe for this kind of advertising and selling, the chinese will get away with it.
    Open source CNC electronics and accessories:
    http://users.skynet.be/ldt/CNC%20electronics/THB6064AH.html

It is a TB67S109AFTG Stepper Motor Driver - lots of info on the web.
    I have 3 they seem to perform well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

May have been advertised with the wrong chip in the description, but it appears the rest of the advertising is fine. I doubt anyone would sue over $7.80 no matter where it was made/sold. It also may be just as good or better than an equivalent TB6600 drive. It should however have been advertised with the correct chip in the description.

Hi, wireb,
    I can't open BL-TB6600 scematic from your post. I get a message: "=" expected.
    My Kicad version is stable 4.0.2

Just verified the MIB JY6600SW project and schematic included in the zip file attached here opens fine in KiCad 4.0.4 stable. Guessing either your download got corrupted or there is a incompatibility between 4.0.2 and 4.0.4.

Would anybody be willing to "fix" these drivers for me for a fee? I have 4. Pm me with a price? (Located in the USA)

Hi,
    I bought two of the "Upgraded 6600 drives" from a California seller on ebay, for $10.20 with free shipping.

Indeed they are based on the TB67S109AFTG chip.
    I tested them this week end and they seem to work well if you use them within their limits.

Here is what I did:
    1. Bypassed the optocouplers because my Laptop parallel port had 3.3 Volt swing, and did not drive the OPTOs well.
    2. Used a 24V power supply, and Set the current to 2.8A since my motors were 2.8A
    3. Set the microstepping to 8
    4. Ran the motor for 1 hour contonuousely at a low speed so the current always reached the max setting.
    5.At the end of the run, the heatsink was at 112^F, and the topside of the PCB Just above the chip was at 130^F.
    The reason for the PCB to be hotter than the heat sink is these chips are really meant to be cooled by heavy copper layer on the PCB rather than a heat sink

The motor ran very smoothly as well.

Then I used an indicator on my mill, ran the X axis 8" left and right 10 times, and the indicator reading was perfect.
    So, my conclusion is, these are (at least the two I bought) for use on motors up to 3A.

Unfortunately, the current sense resistor on this chip goes at the +Vcc end, rather than ground, so it is not easy to look at the waveform without a differential probe.

Hi everyone, I am a newbie who bought set if hy-div268n-5a drivers without making a proper research, reading reviews. One of them burned up while testing it. They will be used with 282 oz-in motors, not istalled yet. I have seen someone advised to replace existing 1w 0.22 resistors with 5w ones as originaly soldered are not reliable and most likely will burn. What are possible consequences of this modification? Is it even worth to try?

Depends on what burned up. If just the sense resistors burned up then yes swapping that will fix your issue. But if the driver IC or PCB burned up then changing the resistor will not help anything. What current are you trying to drive? At the rated 5A this resistor will be trying to dump ~5.5W of power. Would go with a 7.5W or 10W resistor to be safe. Also make sure to use a non-inductive resistor or weird things may happen.

Hi, I also have a "upgraded" version with TB67S109AFTG. Does anybody know why the supply voltage is limited to 40 (some times 42) Volt? As far as I read the data sheet of the chip says 50v absolute max and 47v normal max...

cu

Thorsten

Quote Originally Posted by gnarf View Post
    Hi, I also have a "upgraded" version with TB67S109AFTG. Does anybody know why the supply voltage is limited to 40 (some times 42) Volt? As far as I read the data sheet of the chip says 50v absolute max and 47v normal max...

cu

Thorsten
    You want some headroom. Fast deceleration of stepper motors creates voltage. When added to your power supply voltage can overcome the 50volt absolute max rating. This lets out the magic smoke.....

36volt PS is a standard value you can find easily. Sometimes they have a output voltage adjust that can be bumped up a few volts. I wouldn't use a power supply set greater than 40volts to play it safe.

On the subject of Power Supplies, I have seen people use grossly over rated power supplies.
    Let's take an example : You have a stepper motor that takes 3 Amps, at 3Volts per winding. That is 9 Watts per winding, 18 watts for the two windings.
    Add about 20% more for inefficiencies in the driver. That is a total of 21.6 watts for the drive and the motor.

So, if you are using a 24 Volt power suppply, you need less than 1 Amp from the 24Volt PSU. I have seen folks specifying a 6 Amp power supply for the above case.

My 3 axis mill has 3 motors, 295 oz-in each, which have 3A, 3V windings. I have used a 24V, 2.7Amp switching power supply for the past 7-8 years with no problems at all.

Daya.

TB6600 drive from EBAY

I use what Geckodrives recommends for power supply current. Add up all the stepper motor currents and multiply by 2/3. For 3 motors at 3amps each, you should use atleast a 6amp power supply.

What works for you may not work for someone else. 2.7 amp supply is way to small. My guess is that your drivers are not outputting full 3amp current to the motors.

Quote Originally Posted by millhead View Post
    On the subject of Power Supplies, I have seen people use grossly over rated power supplies.
    Let's take an example : You have a stepper motor that takes 3 Amps, at 3Volts per winding. That is 9 Watts per winding, 18 watts for the two windings.
    Add about 20% more for inefficiencies in the driver. That is a total of 21.6 watts for the drive and the motor.

So, if you are using a 24 Volt power suppply, you need less than 1 Amp from the 24Volt PSU. I have seen folks specifying a 6 Amp power supply for the above case.

My 3 axis mill has 3 motors, 295 oz-in each, which have 3A, 3V windings. I have used a 24V, 2.7Amp switching power supply for the past 7-8 years with no problems at all.

Daya.
    You have applied the wrong logic, giving a totally wrong advice based on serious misunderstanding or lack of better knowledge.

Yes, 24V 2.7A supply MAY work, but it is not optimal. For high speed and acceleration you need high driver voltage. The higher the better, but you should not use higher PSU voltage than your driver allows. 24V is not optimal for the TB6600 based drivers, as I believe they perform best at 36V. The voltage over the windings has nothing to do with the PSU voltage.

The current is needed for higher torque, a 3A motor reaches maximum torque if you can feed it with 3A, but it works even at much lower than that, just not as powerful as it could be with higher current. How much current is used depends on how much load you have on your motors, if you are cutting air the load is very low but as soon as you start cutting real material with the optimal speeds and feeds the current will increase dramatically, until it can no longer increase and that may result in an overloaded PSU, at best case the output voltage will drop, or the fuse will pop or at worst case it will start to overheat and giving smoke signals.

Motors are inductive load, so you can't really apply Ohms law the way you did. When a motor starts it draws considerably more current than normal, so the PSU must be able to handle that to avoid overload. A stepper motor starts every time a new step pulse is given, so that happens very often. The PSU must be able to handle the number of motors you are using, in your case 3, and additionally you must allow for extra current needs, which is about 30% more. This is especially the case for switching supply. Do NOT confuse the motor current and calculate the PSU based on simple Ohms law which is about resistive load, because motors don't behave like resistors, so you actually need 3 x 3 A + 30% = 12A. You can call that over rated, I call that "rated right, according to specs". The PSU must be able to handle all the momentary overload situations, which you get when use inductive loads, like motors.

The fact that it worked for you for the past 7-8 years to use an underpowered PSU says nothing about how it should be done, so your advise should be ignored, not taken seriously because it is based on the wrong logic.

Quote Originally Posted by jfong View Post
    I use what Geckodrives recommends for power supply current. Add up all the stepper motor currents and multiply by 2/3. For 3 motors at 3amps each, you should use atleast a 6amp power supply.
    Is that really what they recommend? I mean, even that sounds underrated and assumes that motion is not done on all three motors at the same time. I would say that is wrong as well, loads must be calculated in parallel, so 3A x 3 = 9A is the absolute minimum I'd use, definitely not less than that. Are you sure they don't mean: current added together for the number of motors + 2/3 of that current? That is a bit too much, but more logical than taking only 2/3 of the total current.

Quote Originally Posted by jfong View Post
    What works for you may not work for someone else. 2.7 amp supply is way to small. My guess is that your drivers are not outputting full 3amp current to the motors.
    Right. But it is difficult to measure because it can't be measured by using the simple resistor based current measuring instruments, like multi meters. Also, if you have a 6A PSU then your case is similar but better.

TB6600 drive from EBAY

http://www.geckodrive.com/gecko/imag...cs%20Guide.pdf

Section 6

I tend to oversize anyway but that is the minimum they recommend.

These drives are microstepped chopped pwm output.

Folks,
    The Ampearage requirements of the power supply varies with the voltage of the PSU.
    If you are using a 5V Power supply with a 3V motor (Ridiculous in practice) then the 2/3 rule applies.
    If you are using a 24, 36, or 40V power supply, the current is much less.

A simple way to test, place an Ampere meter in series with the power feed to the stepper drive, and measure the current. You will find that the current taken
    is much less than rated motor current when you use a higher voltage PSU.

Response to A_Camera: If you really take 3A per winding from a 40V Power Supply, the total power taken is 40 X 3 X 2 windings = 240 Watts.
    Your motor and Driver will be red hot.

The purpose and function of a Chopper drive is to drive a low voltage motor from a high voltage power supply by maintaining constant current drive using a switching action.

Page 12 of 15 21011121314