586,000 active members*
4,956 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Orange County, CA user group

Is anyone interested in starting a user group in Orange County, California?

I'm in San Clemente. Easily accessable to San Diego, Orange, LA and Riverside Counties.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    Is anyone interested in starting a user group in Orange County, California?

I'm in San Clemente. Easily accessable to San Diego, Orange, LA and Riverside Counties.
    San Bernardino County?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    San Bernardino County?
    There too. I was in your area on 6-29 on my way to Fawnskin.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

I was in Fawnskin this morning.

Don Clement

Not sure what creating the group entails but I'm in Anaheim.

Still meaning to come down and say 'hi' Steve. Obviously I decided just to buy one rather than have you test my parts =)

Quote Originally Posted by WOTDesigns View Post

Still meaning to come down and say 'hi' Steve. Obviously I decided just to buy one rather than have you test my parts =)
    WOTDesigns, is that Wide Open Throttle?

Yes sir. Name change recently since I quit the old 9-5 and get to make chips full time now.

Met you at IMS while I was drooling on the 1100 =)

Brian
    WOT DESIGNS

Yes sir. Name change recently since I quit the old 9-5 and get to make chips full time now.

Met you at IMS while I was drooling on the 1100 =)

Brian
    WOT DESIGNS
    Did you used to be PriddyShiddy?

I've been called worse

That was actually an old clothing company. Guys line was Shiddy and the Ladies line was Priddy but after years and years I kept the name on most forums.

I changed it since I've been doing more and more job shop work and getting RFQ on here and through my youtube.

BTW my product launched like a patriot missile. I couldn't get the 1100 up and running fast enough. Right now I'm debating selling my X3 and getting either a 770 or another 1100. 1100 would be a really tight fit so I might have to get a bigger shop to put it in.

Ive watched OC craigslist for 3 years and have NEVER seen an X3 CNC go up for sale. I'm actually thinking I might be able to get 3-4K with tooling and spare Parts to a buyer with 4K and a need for a machine NOW.

Just a group to get together and share ideas and show off what you've made. Maybe share some CAD/CAM experiences. Show and tell what CAD/CAM software you use. What you do and don't like about your machine.

The ONLY thing I don't like about my machine so far is it's slow. I used to own a FADAL and a Haas. The FADAL had a 10,000 RPM spindle and 400 IPM rapids. My Haas had a 10,000 RPM spindle and 720 IPM rapids. My shop was not set up to do big production. A 25 piece order was a big job for me. My business care said "ONE TO TEN PIECES IS OUT SPECIALTY".

How many hours a day/week/month do you run it.

Sometimes, I'll go out and just sit in front of mine and watch TV. Sometimes, the TV's just on for noise. I HATE QUIET.

I have a guy in Anaheim that I'm teaching to run his machine. He has a PCNC 1100 Series 3 in his garage, and somehow, he got the idea that all you have to do is set the machine on the floor and start making parts. First time I went there, he had no tool holders, no vise, no parallels, no cutters. Yesterday, still no tooling. I told him, getting the machine on the floor is only the beginning. There is still a lot of tooling to buy.

I don't mind though, Every time I go up there, I make money. For him, my rate is $50.00 per hour from the time I leave home till I return with a 3 hour minimum.

It's funny, he has taken on work that's going to require some skill and he just made the machine move for the first time yesterday. Before yesterday, he wasn't sure which side of the machine to stand on. He's only had it 8 months and the work he has taken on is going to take some skill for me to do and I've been doing machine work for over 50 years.

I've been called worse

That was actually an old clothing company. Guys line was Shiddy and the Ladies line was Priddy but after years and years I kept the name on most forums.

I changed it since I've been doing more and more job shop work and getting RFQ on here and through my youtube.

BTW my product launched like a patriot missile. I couldn't get the 1100 up and running fast enough. Right now I'm debating selling my X3 and getting either a 770 or another 1100. 1100 would be a really tight fit so I might have to get a bigger shop to put it in.

Ive watched OC craigslist for 3 years and have NEVER seen an X3 CNC go up for sale. I'm actually thinking I might be able to get 3-4K with tooling and spare Parts to a buyer with 4K and a need for a machine NOW.
    You should have called. I'd have been happy to come up and help you get going. Did you buy your machine from Tormach or LMS? I got mine from Tormach and saved over $1,000.00 in sales tax. You gotta pay freight from either place.

Hey guys... I'm in Irvine... actually live in Irvine and machine in my office in Stanton. Machining started as a hobby and pretty much still is for me... but have been thinking I like to take on a few small jobs... My main business not doing that well due to economy and another source of income would help a lot. I'm no pro by any means but can handle the PCNC1100 fairly well. Started with a Taig machine about 8 years ago and upgraded to the Tormach about 5yrs ago. Just spent a few months tearing down and rebuilding the Tormach upgrading to Series 3 as well as repainting the stand and machine with either power coat (sent out) or epoxy paint.

So... the question for you guys is... and if you don't mind me asking... how do you market yourself? On the Internet? any good RFQ sites? local paper? Any pointers would be great! Thanks!

Ken

Get on your horse and start knocking on doors. Don't be discouraged when someone tells you no. Go back on 6 or 8 weeks and try again. Be persistant, but don't be a pain in the ass.

Like the story says, you're gonna kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince.

Eventually, someone will have a job that they need really quick, and you'll be there to bail them out. If they need it in 3 days, bust your ass and get it done. Make their parts, debur them and make them pretty.

There's work out there, you just gotta go knock on a few doors. Your work will probably come from small shops that suddenly have more work than they can do. Or they'll have some 10 piece crap job that they had to take to get a bigger package.

Don't worry about how much you're gonna make per hour, worry about how much you make at the end of the day, or at the end of the week.

If you worry about a good hourly rate, you might make $75.00 or even $100.00 an hour now, then next hour the frigging phone rings and you're on it for 45 minutes. That just cost you $75.00. Now your hourly rate for that 2 hour period is $62.50. And don't try to make up for lost time. If you do that, you'll make a mistake, and maybe scrap a part, or even worse, a whole job. Good kuck,

Steve

Thanks Steve!! I might have to hit the pavement then. Been doing this for fun for too long... time to make my hobby into a business. :-)

Ken

I'm not an owner yet but I plan on buying a new 1100 this fall. I need to finish my garage remodel project first....adding a bunch of electrical tomorrow. This will be a very part-time hobby for me, just want to make some clever and creative parts for my auto and motorcycle interests. I live in the middle of nowhere in south Orange County off of Ortega Highway.

Mark

I wonder how many times I've ridden past your house =)

MC parts are fun to make but scary to sell. My primary business is just that. Job shop work for 2 other motorcycle accessory manufacturers and my own motorcycle product.

Just dropped off 2109 parts at Crest Coating this morning. BUSY two weeks! Crest is a great option for PC. I did see the most amazing Ano I've ever seen last week. Looks like PC but more consistent thickness. Should get the name of the shop today.

Welcome to the club... Soon.

I have my shop in an unfinished area and had to install 100% of the wiring including the trench too the building and internal box myself. No matter how well you plan... You will need more outlets. Best thing I did was locate my air compressor (60 gallons) outside. I cringe every time I watch a youtube video and their compressor goes off in their work space. Ouch.

Paper models helped A LOT as far as planning. Print out your "shop" (scaled) and then every machine and bench, desk, table, cabinet, shelf, compressor, drill press and tool box, cart etc and move them around to help figure out the best arrangement. The lathe needing clearance on the left threw a giant monkey wrench into my "ideal" floor plan. Now I catch a handle in the back every now and then while operating the Tormach. Space restrictions suck.

Cheers.

Brian
    WOT DESIGNS

Quote Originally Posted by flatsix66 View Post
    I'm not an owner yet but I plan on buying a new 1100 this fall. I need to finish my garage remodel project first....adding a bunch of electrical tomorrow. This will be a very part-time hobby for me, just want to make some clever and creative parts for my auto and motorcycle interests. I live in the middle of nowhere in south Orange County off of Ortega Highway.

Mark
    I remember, you're WAY out in the sticks.

Somewhat on topic...Just got confirmation that the Little Machine Shop Open House event this year will be on Saturday October 26 from 12-4PM. Its in Pasadena, CA.

LMS Directions

We'll have several from our tech staff in attendance to answer questions and demo Tormach PCNCs. Hope to see many of your there again, last year had great attendance and lots of Tormach owners!

https://www.tormach.com/events.html
    Andy Grevstad | Tormach LLC
    1071 Uniek Dr. | Waunakee, WI 53597 | www.tormach.com

Wish I could make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I remember, you're WAY out in the sticks.
    Fire Stick: We're good. The Falls fire past right by us thanks to the DC10 that dropped orange goo on our community border. Got the Electrical in last week, need some drywall inspiration.

Page 1 of 3 123