585,992 active members*
5,626 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Tale of the lost 4th axis...

Tale of the lost 4th axis...

Many years ago (1991-1992?), my university bought a brand new Kiwa 510 Colt with a nice Troyke 4th axis. Apparently, there was one professor that arranged for the procurement of the machine and he was just about the only one to ever use it. Judging by the wear on the machine, it looks like he must have done one or two projects on it giving the machine something less then 25 hours of total use. After that, the professor left this university leaving only one other person that could run the machine. At about the same time, the school got another machine. This time a Bridgeport Torque Cut 22 which had a much easier interface. The shop master, the only person that could run the kiwa was spoiled by this interface and never had a need to use the Kiwa again. So, the Kiwa has pretty much sat in the corner of the shop for something like 14 years without use. At some point, the battery on it died and caused the machine to lose its parameters. A mystery man one day came along and got the XYZ axis going again, but for some reason couldn’t get the 4th to work. The machine sat some more, then I came along. I sat down and took the time to learn the ways of this old Fanuc 0M system and have gotten pretty darn good at it. I reconfigured some of the parameters to get it to drip feed and have been using it almost every day. I seem to be the only one here that can actually run this machine now; even the shop master, who used it in the past, has now forgotten how to use it.

Now, I have been trying to for some time to get this fourth axis to work. I’ve been on the phone with both Fanuc and Troyke and have emailed Kiwa; and all of them can’t help me. Even though the 4th axis has a Fanuc brand motor in it, Fanuc told me to talk to Troyke because they don’t know how it’s configured. Troyke has tried to help me, but they told me they didn’t keep very good records back then and pretty much lost their manuals for it. They have sent me some other parameters for some similar models, but its no good, they don’t work at all. Kiwa also told me to contact Troyke even though I stated clearly in the email that they can’t help…

So here’s my request:
    If anyone knows anything about this 4th axis or anyone else that can help, please let me know! I hope I don’t have a totally useless 0-hour 4th axis!

Here’s all the model information:

The machine in a Kiwa 510 Colt with a Fanuc OMC control

The 4th axis is a Troyke NC-9-B Lot# 4077-10 – I believe it’s a 1990 vintage.
    The part number for the motor is A06B-0313-B504

Someone has to have this old Troyke on a 0MC.
    Any info would be great!

OC,
    I purchased the Kiwa and use it daily.
    I have had it for about 1-1/2 years now and just this weekend I got the 4th axis to work. Not fully with G01 but it positions and homes out with G00. the machine is in great shape. I just thought you would like to know.