585,722 active members*
3,969 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

My progress so far

new size of 30"x48" I used 1/2 10 5-start for the x-axis (long axis) with bearings and two black pipes per side for total containment. The gantry came off of an old camera system for a web printing press. It is the 30" axis and it uses a big timing belt with a reduction unit. Its some kind of one off aluminum extrusion that has 1/4" thick walls. It has bish wies v rails and bearings for guides. The z-axis came from x-zero. The stand is welded c-channel and 2" pipe with an axle that can be jacked down with an old car jack for mobility. The electronics are a kl5020 power supply, keling 906 oz motors for the x axis, one 381 oz for the y, and one 381 oz for the z. with a g540 drive and cables from cncrouterparts. The acme nuts for the x came from dumpster. I havent quite figured out how to get the rapids faster in mach3. It will run smoothly with the feedrates turned all the way up. about 800 ipm on the x, around 1000 ipm on the y and less than 200 ipm on the z. but that is plenty fast for me. any critiques?

Nice work working.

I would use aluminum for the ballscrew support bearings or make yours stronger. I can't tell if both the ends have A/C bearings or if one end floats. Other than that it looks fine and you didn't spend too much money either. The fast screws are a good choice. I don't think you will be cutting much past 150 IPM so the top speeds should be fine.

Raise the kernel speed on Mach3 to get faster pulse rates but you need a faster CPU like 3 GHz or so. Try 3500 Hz or 45.

Config/ports and pins then look for kernel speed. Mine crashes at the 60,000 Hz setting your MMV.

How did you get 800 ipm using 1/2 10 5-start? I have the same leadscrew on my x with 50" of travel and I get significant whip around 300 ipm.

I got the heat treated alloy rods from mcmaster. They were an extra $20 a piece but they should be considerable stiffer. I am assuming you got mild steel? I also rolled them across my mdf bed to see where they were slightly bent and I straightened them as close as I could. I have a solid coupler on my nema 34 motors and it acts as a double bearing on the back and I have a double bearing set-up on the front as well. I hope this helps.