585,759 active members*
4,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Vectrax CNC mill with servo motors and dead computer looking for help to upgrade/repa

Vectrax CNC mill with servo motors and dead computer looking for help to upgrade/repa

I recently purchaced a used Vectrax cnc mill with an old computer which has become very sporatic since the move. I am thinking that I should upgrade to a new computer and control system but need help/advice on how to do it and costs or best place to call. I contacted gecko drives to see if I could use theirs but the tech said they didn't have what I needed w/o a lot of work and didn't recommend it. The computer will turn on some times and the screen usually will flicker once it is going. I took it to several computer repair shops and they basically said no way so here I am.

It is a 3 axis cnc mill with 5 tpi ballscrews, with brushed dc servo motors model mt30m4-38, INFO FROM THE MOTORS: c.stall 26 lb/in @8.6 A, 3700 max RPM 140V 47A

I am looking to do some prototyping work mainly with the possibility of some small production runs but primarily prototyping.

Thanks so much for any help or advice you can give.

Mark

What is the vintage of the PC? ISA bus? what is the controlling element? motion card? if so what make?
    You may be able to revive it, maybe the reason Gecko could not help is it is ±10vdc analogue control.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I believe the computer was late 80's like 88/89 with an isa card on the computer which I was told they don't make any more.

Gecko could not help because they did not support the servo motors that were on there, too big for what they handle according to the tech. Tech said would have to replace the servos with something much smaller and if I went the stepper route I would have to make new brackets and quite a bit of hardware and I'm not really interested in that route.

If you post the name/part No. of the card and what type of present servo drives, probably analogue input?
    It may be possible to suggest further, otherwise it is hard without all the details?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.