584,837 active members*
5,468 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Visual Mill > Importing 3D stock into Visual Mill 6.0

Importing 3D stock into Visual Mill 6.0

Can anyone provide information on how to import a 3D stock material blank into Visual Mill 6.0 and have it called up as stock and not a part object?

Quote Originally Posted by Boxey45 View Post
    Can anyone provide information on how to import a 3D stock material blank into Visual Mill 6.0 and have it called up as stock and not a part object?
    you can import more than one solid and just put them on separate layers. Would that work? I'll see if 2012 supports that custom stock in the morning

Been awhile since i have done it. But this will get you started. Make a stock model in cad and import in vm. Then i believe that you do save-as stock model (if this is not am option then maybe it was stl but there must have been some reason why i used to do it in vm instead of sw). It was easy to do. Call mecsoft if you need an answer. I am on holiday.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

OK I'm at work now, there's an export stock as STL feature, but no import for "custom" stock. I'd just do two layers if you need something else. I can't imagine what you're trying to do otherwise. I mean, everything starts with a cube or if it's a casting / custom thing just ignore creating stock for it. Maybe you can explain more of what you're trying to accomplish or the challenge you are facing with the part?

In vm6 you can't just shove a model on a layer and call it stock.
    Stock models must be stls as you have verified for me. There are many reasons to need stock models. Most 3d machining is calculated from the stock model. I had some intricate "horn looking" parts that came out of the lathe and into my forth axis. Without a stock model i would have spent many days of my toolpath cutting air for stock that didnt exist. As it was my spindle time was almost 200 hours.

No as i said you can't import an stl as a stock model.

It must have been VM5 that I was doing the stock import in then.
    Just pissing around with it in 6 and not finding that feature.
    If you get and answer from Mecsoft on how it is down, please share it with us

Thanks to everybody for the input. As soon as I find a method, I will post the results.

Re: Importing 3D stock into Visual Mill 6.0

Thanks to everybody for the input. As soon as I find a method, I will post the results.
    When you have Visual Mill 6 Pro, you can use the command Stock from Selection it is only in the Pro version.