585,956 active members*
4,281 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What should I use?

I am going to be building my own machine based on the same principal Hack used. I am reading this forum night and day and have learned a great deal. When it comes to programs I am lost.

I want to be able to make signs, carve details into work I build(such as logo), and I would also like to be able to scan in a drawing or a picture and convert it so it can be machined.

I am planning on using Mach3 for controller software, unless someone else has another suggestion. I can't afford to spend a lot of money for software, so my question is: Is what I want possible with software that costs under $300?
    What would you suggest for cad/cam? Any options at all or am I just not going to be able to make it happen?

Thank you
    Stephen

There are alot of options. That can be a problem when you are sorting out function, feature, and cash.

I have built a machine for sign carving and to do 2 1/2D work. I have spent about $100 on software.

I use TurboCAD 9 ($15 on ebay) for drawings. ACE converter and/or NCPlot ($75) for conversions and to check the code. TurboCNC (free or pay for sourcecode) to control my machine.

I also use Acme Profiler ($20) to make code for carving images. It works pretty good. There is an up and coming package called CamBam that will be really good soon.

For making really good lettering gcode, try DeskEngrave (free). Several options within the program and it uses true type fonts which can also be found free and installed on your computer.

The biggest part of all of this is to properly plan what you want to do and then use the software that is best suited for the job. Some are free, some are cheap, some are downright expensive.

First, you have to make a drawing, get an image, or use software to type words. Then you have to convert that to gcode. You should test the gcode using a simulator or backplotter. Then test the code on your machine using scrap. The cut production.

Once you have established a pattern of create, convert, test, use; then you can drop the testing and go straight to using the code. When you make changes in your product, start testing again.

Mach 3 has alot of features and I think add-ons. There will be a price to pay. It really depends on what you want to do with the machine, the accuracy you want, and how much you want to figgit with the overall system.

I design software and write mass amounts of douments and manuals all day. Playing with the system and tinkering is in my very nature.

Have fun with it.
    RipperSoftware

Custom CNC Software - ACME Profiler,
    Bar Code Engraving, rapid prototyping
    Promoting CNC ballistic excellence

It's all opinion based. I do a bit of engraving myself and use Dolphin partmaster pro. I've really grown to like the product alot. Also user surfcam however that is more for our high end 3d machining. Since your within a budget, check out dolphin partmaster, dont let the price scare you. They help hobby users out quite a bit, I know they did for me and I have even turned some profit in the last year or so.

Failed to recognize the original question was asked in 2006. Probably, certainly found something working well by now.