585,991 active members*
4,739 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Newbie - Hooking up GPIO

Sorry, but I need some help. I want to use a 5V signal to enable the drive after my controller powers on. I was wondering how to configure this in GD tool as well as the wiring configuration. Currently on the command (CMD) connector I only have pins 10, 15, and 16 hooked up.
    Pin 15 and 16 are my analog inputs to my control. Pin 10 is what I thought should be hooked up to the 5v reference signal for the drive enable, but I can't get it to work.

So my question is, what am I doing wrong? How can I get this to work. Do I need extra wires going somewhere? Can someone please tell me what I need to do in the GDtool to configure it as well. I read the manual, but it isn't clear as far as "For pin 10, if high, disable drive"... Sorry, I'm new to all of this.

I would also like to have an EStop hooked up as well to disable the drives, but first things first.

Also, I have another question - Is there a way to use this drive as a VFD? I have about 7 of these drives, and I currently have a spindle, but no VFD. I was wondering if I could use this for the spindle, at least to test it out before purchasing a VFD.

Thanks,
    Dave

Hi Dave,

I recommend setting pin 9 (IN4) as enable/disable because pin 10 (IN3) needs to be low during power-on. Otherwise drive enters in serial communication mode and many of the I/O's then have different function. To use IN4 as enable:
    -Go to GDtool General settings -> User IO and click Configure next to Disable in line. Then select IN4 and click ok.
    -To operate, connect 5V between IO_COM (pin 2 or 8) and IN4. Positive to IN4.

VSD-E doesn't work as VFD, it's only for servo motors.

Thank you very much for your response. I was able to get the enables/disables working via your advise. Thanks for the support! Have a good one.
    Dave