585,760 active members*
3,723 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Phenolic advice

After milling with it for some time, I liked the way it was so straight, and rigid. My home-made cnc machine became destroyed, because it was originally made from MDF and the water-soluable oil penetrated it and destroyed it.

I recently rebuilt my cnc machine frame using 5/8 Phenolic. It appears sturdy, straight, rigid, and am pretty psyched to get it back together again.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with this stuff, and know if there is anything I need to avoid it around or whatever, because it feels indestructible to me and I dont want to ruin all this work to find out that wd-40 will disindigrate it, or something common like motor oil.
    WWW.RAIDGEAR.NET - FFC cables, foam headset replacement parts, and other gadgets.

phenolic is pretty tough stuff. my company used phenolic resin to make some navy ship doors. i am pretty sure that navy ship doors take a beating so it should be fine. if you were worried you could take a scrap and soak it in whatever it might be exposed to. soaking in solvents i wouldn't think would be good for it but oils and incidental solvent contact i wouldn't think would hurt it.

Matt

There Are Two Types Of Phenolic One Which Is Made From Sheet Bonded Togher And The Other From A Resin The One That Made Of Sheet Can Crack If Heave Impact Occurs Much Like Fiberglass As For Oils I Know Of Nothing That Shuold Harm It Pretty Tough Stuff That Why It A Great Electrical Insultaning Materail And Is Used For Many Aplication

Thanks for advice guys. I've been making stuff with this for a couple months now, and really like the way it stays so straight, rigid - and unlike aluminum; which does tend to flex, leaves terrible shards and fileings all over the place that seem to gravitate in my fingers every time I touch something.

When I drill, mill, shape or cut phenolic - it just seems to peal off nice and easy, clump together and fall to the floor in a harmless sweapable swarf.

I am sure this stuff will definately crack before it bends. Like concrete with re/bar laced it it, feels strong as diamonds and straight as an arrow.

I know there is a bunch of different types; some have more dense and more fine fibers layored. I tell you, its a good think the scrap yard down the street stocks the stuff because I definately can not afford to buy this new in a sheet, I looked up the prices and it's not cheap.
    WWW.RAIDGEAR.NET - FFC cables, foam headset replacement parts, and other gadgets.

I have made some stuff out of this....pretty dusty when it comes to machining it!
    Have cut it dry, wet to keep the dust down....what do you prefer?
    Konrad

The dust builds up when it starts cutting. At first I was using air pressure, and agree- the dust fills the air pretty quick (amoung other things - like anything that has a ball-bearing with oil, collects the dust around it).

So then I started wearing a face-mask. The bearings and other things around started collecting the fine dust which is not good, so then I started using coolant - just to colsolidate that mess to where it's supposed to be. I believe the coolant is better for the bits, as well because I can see it getting tarnished from heat.

I'm curious what kinds of tooling you're using to cut phenolic. I have a really nice sheet of 3/4" thick glass-reinforced phenolic, but cutting it with common woodworking tools like carbide-tipped sawblades very quickly wears down the tools. I'd really like to use it for parts on my next CNC machine, but I'm worried I'll just waste a bunch of endmills trying to mill it.

Got any advice?

Thanks!

Should have mentioned--the material I have is light green in color, reinforced with white fibers (fiberglass?), very dense, very stiff, and smells bad when first cut. Thx.

The fiberglass reinforced stuff is brutal on tools. Onsrud (and others) make tools specifically for cutting that stuff.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I grind a carbide bit nice and sharp with lots of rake and a little corner radius.
    Use a sharp tool & cut cool !

The best tools I found for cutting this type of stuff are PCD (polycrystalline diamond) endmills. Search eBay for them. Onsrud currently has PCD SERF routers, which I use, for about 80% off list. I've also bought PCD endmills made by RobbJack and Exactaform for the same type of discounts. Even found a PCD drill bit.

The next best are solid carbide 'burr' endmills, though they look like a burr, there are actually edged flutes which grind the material away.

I use PCD in this video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_aeNUawNvc&list=UUh02xArFBxUbWIhO2HPsxfQ& index=1&feature=plcp]Milling 3/8" G10 Garolite, Home Made CNC Router, High Speed Toolpaths - YouTube[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by DrStein99 View Post
    After milling with it for some time, I liked the way it was so straight, and rigid. My home-made cnc machine became destroyed, because it was originally made from MDF and the water-soluable oil penetrated it and destroyed it.

I recently rebuilt my cnc machine frame using 5/8 Phenolic. It appears sturdy, straight, rigid, and am pretty psyched to get it back together again.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with this stuff, and know if there is anything I need to avoid it around or whatever, because it feels indestructible to me and I dont want to ruin all this work to find out that wd-40 will disindigrate it, or something common like motor oil.
    My current machine is made of 1" phenolic, paper based. I do have some 1-1/4" micarta that I will use to rebuild some parts... machine is here:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...nother-16.html